Dependent on pot?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by xoCherie, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xoCherie

xoCherie Well-Known Member

I'm worried I've started being dependent on cannabis. I'm fine when I don't have access to it, don't get me wrong. But when I have access to it it's like it's all I can think about. I just want to constantly get high. The last time I only got a stick and made it last almost a week, and I was only using it to help me sleep, but someone commented recently saying that my words when I was on it came across as I was being dependent on it.
    I think back to November and smoking up with my friends, and I felt grateful for even having one hit. But now...I want more, more, more...it's scary...like I can't stop...
    I'm scared. I don't want to turn into my sister :unsure:

2. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

i usually used to smoke it whenever it was available and passed on to me but i never got to the stage of addiction.

3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I used to be "addicted" to pot. It wasn't that I was physically addicted to it, I was just so miserably depressed that I wanted to be high all the time to make the pain go away. I smoked pot almost every day for 7 years. Every time I ran out, I would freak out, and the only thing I could think about was getting high, or drunk, or otherwise intoxicated, again. I guess you could call that addiction. Yet I eventually reached a point where I had to choose between marijuana and more important things... I chose to give up smoking pot so that I could live a so-called "normal" life. I found that once I was motivated to move on with my life, it was actually pretty easy to give up smoking pot. The experts are right - it is psychologically addicting, but not at all physically addicting. I've suffered worse withdrawl symptoms from giving up caffeine than I have from quitting pot. Your mind may crave the high that it gives you, but I assure you that your body does not require it. Unlike alcohol, nicotine, heroin, etc., your body cannot become dependent on cannabis. It is literally all in your head. The reason you "can't stop" is because you like the way it makes you feel versus how you feel when you're sober. Maybe you're just so unhappy that it's the only way you can feel happy. That's called self medicating. The same principle applies whether it's pot, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, painkillers, or any other substance that makes you feel good. You're not addicted to marijuana, you're addicted to feeling good. And this is perfectly understandable, especially if you're used to feeling bad most of the time.

4. xoCherie

That's the thing. I feel all the emotions I would normally when I'm sober. When I'm high it's more...relaxed, less stressed, and so, so much easier to sleep.

5. Gimiq

Gimiq Well-Known Member

It will take more and more to maintain the effect and after a while that effect will chanhe it will frel like being stuck in lombo. So u may want to useoderation along with other coping skillz. Its not a fix all

6. TheLoneWolf

Well, so did I for the most part... though it did make me happier overall. Definitely more relaxed. And it made everything seem better. Food tasted better, jokes were funnier, music sounded better... even my positive emotions towards people and things were heightened. It made me enjoy everything more. It never really made me social like alcohol sometimes does, though... it made me more introspective, really. And more creative. When I was high, I could get lost in a book, movie, or video game, and imagine myself being there. It was like steroids for my imagination. I'll be honest, I loved smoking pot... loved every minute of it. I haven't touched it in over ten years, and I still remember how good it used to make me feel. Trust me, if I can give it up... anybody can.

7. xoCherie

I can control myself once I've gone a day without it...it's when I have access to it and know its around, I want to smoke up constantly...I don't like it. I don't like that feeling. I was more creative on it, I found it easier to draw - what would take me 40mins+ would now take me 20mins...I miss that part mainly...

8. TheLoneWolf

I've been around it since I quit, and yes I am tempted to smoke, but I know that I can't because of my job. If you're able to quit and stay away from it for a long time, you'll lose that feeling of constantly wanting it. It's normal to want it when you've been smoking it a lot, though. The human body has certain receptors that bond specifically with marijuana and nothing else, almost as though we were meant to use it. But at the same time, you can be okay without it. If you don't like feeling dependent on it, just try to avoid situations where you know it will be available. I know that can be hard if you have friends that smoke it, but you can ask them not to smoke it while you're around and tell them not to offer you any. If they're good friends, they will honor your wishes.

9. xoCherie

Thanks for the advice Wolf. I'd type more of a reply but I've got a killer head ache

10. TheLoneWolf

No problem :smile:

I hope your head feels better soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.