Depending on Xanax

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by #18, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

#18 Well-Known Member

I'm currently being prescribed Xanax for my social anxiety. The bad thing was that I started to abuse it because I liked the calming feeling it gave me. I even had withdrawl symptoms when I had ran out.

Does anybody else take this?
  2. darcy1

darcy1 Well-Known Member

i started on ativan which is almost the same...swithced over to sleeping pills at night and ativan durring the day. tried to get on a tapering program by switching to valium (they are also benzos) cause it has a longer half life.

with ativan or xanax the time it remains in your body is in between doses you suffer interdose withdrawl...which makes the symptoms you originally took the drug for even worse...and you need to take more.

i understand where you are.
    i am in hell right now.

i found a web site that helped with tapering...swithed over from the sleeping pills and ativan over to an equivilant of valium and then started to cut the dose every 2 weeks.

i couldn't take the insomnia and upped my dose...but my doc knew. it wasn't like i did it without supervision. i am simply trying to stay alive for the people in my life who love me.

docs don't know much about these drugs and hand them out willy nilly. i remeber asking my doc if ativan would be a addictive...and she it is in and out of your body in about 8 hours. like that was something good. but that is the problem with is in and out of your body so quickly the brain doesn't know how to cope.

benzos attach to the gaba receptors in you brain (gaga receptors are the receptors in your brain that are responsible for the calm or feelgood aspect of your perception) and if you think of the receptor as a shutter opening and closing....the xanax allows the shuttter to open faster and stay open longer. when you go through inner dose withdrawl or go off them cold turkey the shutter stays closed and does not allow any nerotramsmitters to get the withdrawal feels awful so you have to take it again and take more just to feel some sort of calm.

i feel for you i am also in benzo hell.

try searching the web for withdrawal plans...the ashton manual is out there...and is kind of the blue print for oranizing a way of getting off.

good luck.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011

#18 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know about all of that stuff. I didn't realize how much it affected the brain with the withdrawl either. I should taper off of it. I don't want to become too dependent on it. I'll look up more information, thank you!
  4. darcy1

darcy1 Well-Known Member

#18 Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure how long, it's been awhile. I'm on about .5 mg. I'll check the site out, thank you.
  6. Mrsx

Mrsx Member

It's almost nice to know somebody else is struggling Xanax. My doctor prescribed me .25, but little does the dr. know that I take four of them for a 1mg effect, sometimes even a 1.25mg. I can't go to class, or meet new people, go to social events without taking a Xanax. My social anxiety is so bad that if there's ever a "peer group" (where you find another person...yourself) in class, I run to the bathroom to avoid it. I really enjoy the zombie "IDGF" feeling when my day leaves me in tears. At the same time I hate it, and I curse at the Gods for not making a social butterfly like I view in most people. I haven't had a withdrawl yet, but I'd rather not think about that.
  7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'm prescribed 6mg a day.

If I don't take it I get bad withdrawals.
  8. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I was started on .5mg, then 1, then 1.5, 2, 3, then 4. I was pulled off of Xanax quickly in the psych ward and had a seizure, so they tapered me off of it slower after that. Unfortunately I'm not on it anymore, I'm on klonopin now, but xanax was a lifesaver.
  9. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

I get 4mg/day. That and Coca Cola are my favorite things.

No plans of ever stopping. It really is that good.
  10. hunter77

hunter77 Member

i started stealing my mamas xanax when i was 13 and i became addicted and i had to quit at 15. that is some hard stuff to quit but i started taking it because i started having bad depression and anxiety and i knew it would help me but i had to go to NA meetings and junk. now im having bad problems and the doctors wont give me anything that can be used recreationally because of that and all the stuff i have taken dont help so if a doctor gives u something to help...dont take advantage of it. Sorry if thats what u didnt wanna hear :/
  11. Finance

It's hard to get the large dosages. Well worth the time and money for me.

The horror stories, I can't relate to.

Xanax works great for me.
  12. Morbituarty

Morbituarty Well-Known Member

Can U get xanax without GP's prescription in your country?
  13. Finance

Family doc's get nervous over 1mg/day. It takes plenty of psychiatrist visits to get up to 4mg/day.

To answer the question, it's not available over the counter, in the U.S.

Yes, it can be had w/o scrip, if you're in the know.

Thankfully, some people have it both ways.
  14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Xanax is a super wonder drug :) I'm on 1.5mg /daily. Works great for me , I used to abuse it but don't anymore.I take 1 tab 3 times daily. It has helped me tremendously in the past. Unfortunately it's going to be banned in Ireland by the end of the summer, not sure what i'll do then.
  15. They tapered you off of xanax only to give you klonopin? Seems weird. They're both benzodiazepines. Clonazepam(klon) might have a longer course of action, but they both do about the same thing.

Xanax works great for me. calms, helps me sleep, but terribly addictive.
  16. Suisingle

Suisingle Account Closed

Xanax is the only med that's ever helped alleviate my extreme anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia and frequent nightmares. Unfortunately my county docs won't prescribe it even though I have no history of drug addiction. Most days I'm in absolute agony and all these idiots will do is prescribe a cup of chamomile tea. I can't afford a private physician either with very little money and no insurance. As a result I drink for relief, which of course only exacerbates my problems. I've now begun seeking alternate supply sources. Even .5 mg a week would be a blessing at this point. I don't give a hoot about the law anymore. Our nation's excessively strict laws and our joke of a health care system have failed me time and time again. They don't give a damn how much I suffer, they only care about protecting themselves and keeping their jobs. It's really sad I must risk jail and be labeled a common drug user to get the relief I need.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.