Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by j86, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard much of this but my sister swears she has it and her doctor said the same.

Can anyone tell me more about it? I know it's a feeling of daze and you're aren't really in your body.. but don't we all feel that? Couldn't we all have it?

My sister suffers from panic attacks too.. could this be from it? Vice versa?
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

isnt it like when you dont feel in touch with yourself. Maybe it fels like your mind is a separate entity from one's body..

Im not really sure, just ignore
  3. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

That sounds like disassociation.. :unsure:
  4. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

Well, her doctor a couple years ago mentioned "Depersonalization".
    As for the Disassociation, she doesn't have multiple personalities.
  5. lost_child

lost_child Well-Known Member

If u dissociate u don't necessary have to have MPD. Chronic depersonalization refers to depersonalization disorder which is classified by the DSM-IV as a dissociative disorder.

Depersonalization is an alteration in the perception or experience of the self so that one feels detached from, and as if one is an outside observer of, one's mental processes or body.
  6. StellarSparkle

StellarSparkle Well-Known Member

Hello j86,

I am very familiar with depersonalization as I have experienced it, and it's such a horrible thing. You hear all, feel all, see all, and experience all but as a spectator. Everything seems so distant and bizarre. It is very dreamlike and you become observant of your own existence, wondering who we are, how did we get here, why do we breathe, is that all real ? You try to find answers to your own questions and the spiral grows till you find yourself so detached from your environment. Travelling makes it much worse, my DP levels increased a lot when I travelled ... I don't even want to remember it :cry:

It's such a very frightening experience :cry:
  7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sounds exactly like disassociation, which I get, and I don't have multiple personalities.
  8. Barbados

Barbados Well-Known Member

My whole life has been like this, am I supposed to be seeing a doctor? Isnt this basically feeling distant from a once felt normality?
  9. StellarSparkle

StellarSparkle Well-Known Member

Indeed you should Barbados, but unfortunately many doctors don't know about this condition.
  10. Harrowdown

Harrowdown Well-Known Member

its the scariest feeling in the world, strangest

but also a bit of a relief i guess
    because at least your mind disengages when things hurt too much and you don't have to stay with it all
    all the time.....i dunno

hasn't happened to me lately but last year that 'on videotape' feeling wouldn't go away
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  11. elliebelle

elliebelle Active Member

I had no idea it had an actual name. I feel way less crazy (I've even told doctors about it and had them look at me funny) I've been doing this for years. Not as bad lately but used to be severe and could last for hours at a time. I generally never remember that much after though. I know it freaks the hell out of other people. I've literally had people slap me trying to stop it. Its such a weird feeling but I've welcomed it most of the time since it only happens when i'm too hurt to survive otherwise.
  12. Harrowdown

Harrowdown Well-Known Member

usually had to slap myself:blink:
  13. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Look at the world from an outsider, witnessing a theater like play being somewhere looking at it yet seeing also yourself on the stage, interacting with others presnet and at times discussing with voices or your own self from like an out of body.... no emotions, feelings exist.... at timerealizing it is happening and other time have no memory of it as if one's mind went on on its own so missng part of the play then seeing part andpieces yet never the whole thing.... ok too hard to explain and too freaky even for me to attempt.

will never make sense of how darn brain goes on doing such weird things at times...... knowing things are happening, other times feeling something went on yet not quite clear what..... or getting coments or nagging inside your head SHUT THEM UP! I like to have all clear and do need to understand all to give myself a sense of balance and being in control yet got to admit i am not.

hardest part of problem is admit to yourself tthat you are the one having it.... have develpo coping skills to mask part of it all to others but am now aware that for ...... years i was not fully in control.

when it gets out of control..... all can happen and that is scary as you dont and most likely wont know what went on..... or just enough bits n pieces to freak you to madness.

dpersonalizatin or dissociation or both? or else?

ok forgt it, cant evn explain it clearly so go figure who ccan make sense of this mess
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  14. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Yeah its terrifying at its extreme. Everything dissociative at its extreme is just terrifying. Does anyone else go wandering outside when like this and lose all sense of time? This has been a problem for me since I was around 16. And when I'm not feeling good it gets worse and more bizarre. Although at times I can control it and say to myself "get back home now" and make myself go back. But other times I don't know what I'm doing outside for hours and I get panicky and need to get home but can't make my body get back there.

Anyone else have this problem?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.