Depersonalization.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Depersonalization, who experiences or knows more about it?

Though these feelings can happen to anyone, they are most prominent in panic disorders, clinical depression, and bipolar disorder.

Sufferers of depersonalization feel divorced from both the world and from their own identity and physicality. Often the person who has experienced depersonalization claims that life "feels like a movie, things seem unreal, or hazy." [citation needed] Also a recognition of self breaks down (hence the name). The person experiencing the disorder may feel like life is a dream or an illusion of sorts.

The feeling is said to be like being a ghost. No matter how hard the person tries, he/she cannot feel like they are genuinely interacting with the world. They can't seem to perceive themselves as being normal. While the person is struggling to feel everything as normal, there is a part of themself which begs to just give up and stop the struggling.[citation needed] A sufferer from depersonalization can be especially susceptible to suicide, undertaking the suicidal process calmly and easily without real awareness.[citation needed] Simply put, depersonalization is an alteration in the perception or experience of oneself, so that the self is felt to be unreal; the person feels detached from reality and/or their own body or mental processes.

The symptoms associated with depersonalization have a known connection with psychological trauma. However, if the problem develops into a disorder (persistent and recurring) then it is important to have it treated as it may lead to suicide, depression, lack of meaning, lack of joy, and general apathy.

So do you think you have it?

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

This happens to me a lot. Not the extent that most people experience it I don't think. I mean I've never experienced myself as outside my own body or anything. But definitely the feeling of being a ghost, that you are not interacting with the world, that things are going by like a movie. All that definitely.

3. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

I get it. The experience is terrifying. Personally, I'm more fearful of depersonalization than death. Which is probably why life has little meaning to me anymore.

4. corang

corang Well-Known Member

I actually started feeling like this again today (before i even found the thread). I do feel like that a lot before and during a bad depression.

5. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

This is just one way of experiencing dissociation, and happens to me as a result of a great deal of trauma.

When I experience anything that is threatening or a trigger of past events it may cause me to switch into a different mindset - one of which allows me to watch myself from afar, or at other times I am just in a foggy existence or robotically walking through life without feeling, and at other times like being a different person (not me - but her). I disconnect so to say from my body in one way or another. It is usually developed as a result of extreme trauma and helplessness especially at an early age leaving no hope of escape. It has been termed the escape when there is no escape. A coping device that allows one to survive what would otherwise be unsurvivable.

Dissociative Identity Disorder is a more extreme scenario and many times includes depersonalization.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this... it is very disorienting. Helps me to look at it as the coping device I needed at the time. Working through the trauma, and recognizing the triggers reduces the occurrence of this aftereffect of abuse. Since I am older, stronger and in a safe environment, I can grow past needing to use depersonalization as a defense.

Take care of yourself!

6. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

Yes I have it, disconnection. Coupled with being alone, life is extremely hard and saddening.

7. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I feel totally disconnected from myself - who ever that is these days I am unsure. I got shot accidentally with a dissociative drug called Ketamine once (wild ride let me tell you) so I know that the depersonalization/disconnect I often feel is not a true episode of disassociation. My disconnect is often voluntary, a coping mechanism to be certain..I have to just bury it all inside to function and get shit done but I know that it is taking its toll on me and that worries me...one day I just may not come back from it and will just be a damn robot, but I am here for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.