Deppresion Meds?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Rawr102, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rawr102

Rawr102 New Member

I'm thinking of seeking professional help. I have never felt this depressed in my life until recently. I feel so lonely, and I can't sleep at night (Often staying up until 5am). I tried being around friends, but I just don't feel the same around them anymore. I use to be active and pretty happy with my life, but now I dont know whats wrong with me. My question is do antidepressants actually work or does it just make things worse? I don't want to take meds that'll make me walk around like a zombie =/

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

They won't make you not lonely. They might put you to sleep at night. They killed my suicidal impulse, but didn't leave me with any alternatives.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Omg thanks for reminding me...forgot to take my meds:laugh:

To answer your question, I first started taking citalopram in July, started at 10mg , worked my way up to maximum dosage..they made me manic at first, extremely manic..caused suicidal thoughts too.hmm i went off them for a while but went back on them a few weeks ago . they seem to be working much better now.they dont make you feel zombie like, they just make you that little bit happier and they take the edge off things :)

4. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

There's a hybrid anti-depressant medicene and sleep-aid known as Seroquel, I think it's mostly used for bipolar diagnosed persons.

Perhaps it may be of your intrest to look into it.

5. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I asked a similar question myself after reading a report that suggested they only work for 1 in 10 people. If you go to my stats in my profile you can find the thread. Hope the answers there are of help. All the best.:smile:

6. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

The problem is not if you will feel like a zombie as to find the right medication and dose adapted to your needs. I'm satisfied with mine as they seem to work but before finding the right meds, i had to take so many different kinds.
    Now that we found the right ones, i'm feeling rather better but i know that i ahve a long way to go. Dont expect the meds to change your life from the start as the chemical imbalance takes time to settle.

best of luck
    granny

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You really need to talk to your doctor about the effects of what he is putting you on. Some meds are designed to take the edge off, others make you sleepy, And some will put you out there on cloud 9. Me personally I am on six meds. Sometimes it takes a combo to help. They aren't going to cure you, that is where you come in you have to work at getting better. I recommend a therapist because they can teach you coping skills. You should also read the paperwork that comes with your prescription to see what side effects you should look for. I hope this helps!!~Joseph~

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well talk to your doctor about it. They will decide what might be best for you then monitor it in case you start feeling worse. No worries mate :heart:

9. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

Hi Rawr. Medication is different for everyone, any clinician worth their training will tell you that.

We don't really understand a lot about the biology behind psych disorders, just that certain things work and certain things don't and therefore we can make inferences about what kind of physiology is LINKED to them.

This means that, unfortunately, there's a lot of trial and error. And of course, because the cause isn't simply biological, there must be some sort of therapy coupled with medication in order to fully "recover" from whatever has brought you here in the first place.

I would encourage you to research as much as you can about whatever medication the Docs would like to put you on. Be a mindful, aware consumer. And don't be afraid to speak your mind --- You have the right to refuse treatment, and the right to dictate how your treatment should be going... If you think that meds are making you worse, then verbalize that. In a similar vein, if you feel you are simply taking too much, and you become "like a zombie" then tell your Doc that. Your Docs should respect your wishes to taper down. If they don't, get a second opinion. This is YOUR choice, not theirs.

With all of that being said, SSRIs and other antidepressants take a few weeks for them to reach their full therepeutic potential. In fact, all psychotropic drugs do. Don't expect an overnight fix... But, if the Docs are recommending it, try it. It couldn't hurt to try for a little while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.