Depressed and distressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm new on this site and I'm really not quite sure how to begin. For most of my life I've always felt like an outsider, even amongst my own friends and family. I was kind of a loner as a kid. Not because I couldn't make friends or talk to people, but because even back then it felt like anyone who showed me attention or affection was only doing so because they felt bad for me. It got really bad when I was about 13 or 14 years old and started to figure out what I was feeling. I read online about mental disorders and depression and the more I related to what I read, the crazier I felt. And since then it's been pretty much a constant struggle to be happy and stay positive.

The last year or so has been really good for me. I honestly felt like things were looking up, like I was really making progress. But recently I've gotten more and more down about myself. I can't eat, or sleep, or do anything at all. Everything seems dull and pointless. It's a chore to get out of bed and I never want to talk to anyone, even people I care about. And its sick because I don't even have a legitimate reason to feel the way I do. I have an incredible family, a couple good friends, school has always been manageable, and I cant even say that I think I'm unattractive. So I cant understand why I feel so sad all of the time. I feel worthless, and selfish, and I feel like there isn't really anyone to talk to about it. I've tried to bring it up before, but after getting told 500+ times that "its just been a bad day" or "its something you'll get over" or "you're just being emotional," it starts to seem like there's no one that understands.

I don't know what I'm expecting to find from joining this site, but at this point I just don't know what else to do. Advice/encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Try to think of the positive things in your life. Sometimes you don't need a reason to feel low, but you have to try to think about the good things and people in your life.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
People here understand and as said depression can snick up on anyone if there is stress or pressures in your life Talk to you doctor ok let doc know what is going on just so you can get blood work done rule out anything medical that can be causing the low feelings

I feel the same way and all I can really say is, I feel you, it sucks. I don't have a legitimate reason to feel shitty, I could use more support from friends and family, but I'm in decent physical shape, I'm moderately attractive, and on the higher end of intelligence. But I don't care. It's a tough spot to be in because you don't even feel justified in your own feelings. And that would be okay, except they're so powerful and all-consuming. I think it has to be a chemical imbalance, because sometimes no matter what I do, and I know thinking positive thoughts helps a lot of people, but for me sometimes it just doesn't do it. Try seeing a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist because from what I understand, sometimes regular doctors aren't to eager to prescribe anxiety/depression medication. The medication I was taking started of slow but it eventually did start making some awesome changes, the only reason I stopped was because I have self-sabotaging and self-destructive tendencies. But give meds a try dude, for me they were working pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00