1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depressed college student

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by peach333, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peach333

    peach333 Member

    After being in college I don't have any health insurance. I know I'm depressed and even attempted suicide but I don't have a lot of money and don't know how I could even get treatment. Is there anything I could do to get treatment or other alternatives?
  2. Lead Savior

    Lead Savior Well-Known Member

    I am in the same boat. My wisdom teeth are kicking my ass but I can't afford the $1500 bill for removal/cavity filling, so I just kill tons of aspirin.
  3. Esmeralda

    Esmeralda Well-Known Member

    Does your college have a doctor's office? Usually they are pretty cheap, at least, compared to the usual avenues. Also, can you get a job that has benefits?
  4. StangerInAStrangeLand

    StangerInAStrangeLand Well-Known Member

    Howdy peach333,

    I am going to college too - I'm in super-senior status. I found out that my college had a counseling and disability office where I could get free counseling - they really helped me out. I am sure your college would have a similar office, almost all colleges have a counseling office (don't know about small, or 2 year colleges, they probably have them too though). Sometimes they are difficult to get into but they can help you immensely once you get into see them - usually you can find their number on the colleges website or through the colleges student health center.

    If your feeling depressed enough to attempt suicide I would highly recommend getting into seeing the counselor at your school as soon as possible - I know it isn't easy, but they can really help you out, and give you options that you might not have thought about. I failed a semester at the college I go to, they helped me take the failing semester off my permanent record and got me help and counseling.

    If you ever need to talk or vent or if your feeling suicidal - feel free to PM me - I know how hard college can be and it sounds like you've been struggling with this for a while. Hang in there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.