Depressed Or In A Rut?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Bambi, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I am beginning to think that I am not so much depressed these days and in a rut. Like I have picked up some bad behavior patterns from this last three year bout of depression that have become habit and now am in a rut. Of course these behaviors involve things like isolating, not taking advantage of social opportunities, not taking care of many aspects of my business etc which of course result in a "depressive environment" so hard to tell what is going on with me.

Does any one have any tips on how to differentiate a depressive bout (like do I need a med change) vs. a rut?

And do you have any tips on how to break out of this rut as I fear my life is falling apart a bit and boom then I will be depressed for sure.

Thanks for any help guys, Love Bambi

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey sorry you feel like your in a rut Time to try new things take music lessons art lessons change up your routine a bit. Listen to different music It is hard when your stuck but try reaching out to friends family and get out of the enviroment that brings you down okay take care

3. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Bambi, great thoughts. Being in a rut doesn't always necessarily mean depressed but it certainly is a characteristic of depression as well.

I personally find that I need to plan my days....have something to look forward to...a sense of responsibility and participation in LIFE. Even small things like planning a run for a cup of tea at Starbucks, keeps me going and out of this enviroment.....like today, Im forcing myself to shower......it's bee too many days.

If you have a favorite song (upbeat song ) play it first thing in the morning....write yourself a affirmation note so when you wake up, that is the first thought you have.

What things do you like to do? What things would you like to do but you feel you can't?

4. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

It's difficult to differentiate between what is a rut and what is depression and of course your rut can then cause depression.

Most of the time the only thing I can do is kick my own arse... but of course that is easier said than done.
    Usually I'll make promises to people, especially when it comes to anything social, because I know full well if I said "I promise I will be there" I absolutely have to.

Another good way to get out of a rut is to change things around and do things differently to the way you have done them before. Because if you are expecting everything to be the way you did it previously, you are going to be less than willing to actually do it (hope that made sense!)

Change your room around if it helps, I agree with Pinkpetals on the music thing - get up and go music really helps. Make your morning different, i.e. if your bed is on a different side of the room and you promise to leap out of bed instead of hitting snooze... just doing every little thing a fraction differently than you did it before can have a massive impact.
    Have a different kind of breakfast, attack paperwork in a different way (like if you usually do it at home, take your laptop and do it at a coffee shop instead). Also being surrounded by people, even if it's just asking for a coffee or where the loo is, kind of forces you to be more sociable and isolate yourself less.

5. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I Like your style Chickadeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! That and HOT guys that read the paper and drink their coffee....tsk tsk.

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

hahahaha so true! Just slightly brush past them on your way to the bathroom, apologise and smile! hehe ;-) gotta love a good old flirt!

7. ASolitaryBlue

ASolitaryBlue Well-Known Member

you two made me laugh :laugh:

8. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I have been in a rut for almost all of my life really. This is thanks to my addiction to being sheltered in my home, being on the computer and television. This then was the cause of my depression, which then put me further into the rut I still am in now.

I'm depressed because I think I am such a loser compared to everyone else. I then contemplate suicide because I think I am in such a deep rut, that I am beyond help, that the rest of my life will be nothing but pain and misery.

I'm guessing my frequent moving as a child, losing my friends and getting bullied at new schools I went to also is a cause of my pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.