Depression: A different perspective

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Entoloma43, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Depression is often seen as a mental illness that needs to be treated and cured, but if you think about it, depression seems like a natural reaction to the world we live in:

HOMICIDE - One person is murdered every 31 minutes.
    RAPE - One person is raped every 2.7 minutes.
    ASSAULT - One person is assaulted every 7.2 seconds.
    THEFT - One home is victimized by theft every 2.3 seconds.
    BURGLARY - One home is burglarized every 9.2 seconds.
    DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - One woman is victimzed by an intimate partner every 1.4 minutes. One man is victimized every 6.7 minutes.
    CHILD ABUSE & NEGLECT - One child is reported abused or neglected every 36 seconds.
    DRUNK DRIVING - One person is killed in an alcohol-related traffic crash every 31 minutes.
    IDENTITY THEFT - One person becomes a victim of identity theft every 9 seconds.
    ELDER ABUSE - One elderly person is victimized every 2.7 minutes.
    HATE CRIME - One hate crime is reported to the police every 55 minutes.

We live in a world where people who throw a ball around get paid millions, but people who save lives (such as firefighters) get paid very little. People get paid millions while others are starving and just struggling to survive.

We are where we are today due to the suffering and deaths of others. Look at the history of almost civilization, and it is likely drenched in blood.

How is one supposed to want to live in a world like this?

Maybe the ones who ignore all of this and just go on with their daily lives are the ones with the problems, not us.
  2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from and I relate with this sentiment often. It really comes down to coping and pragmatism, in my opinion.

Those that ignore these things - who are few, given the ubiquitous nature of information in our age - are simply moving on and adapting. Not everyone could afford to wallow in depression and despair, however tempting or perhaps justifiable. We do the best we can to keep on living. The world would otherwise be even more miserable if everyone was negative about it.
  3. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

True, also melancholy has given rise to many of the greatest arts in history.

RE the statistics, it's obvious to say those events are very much in the minority, but it's true.
  4. hi my name is

hi my name is Well-Known Member

don't forget to mention the shit jobs for shit money that was a good factor for me.. busting my ass at a factory made me sick didn't think humans would bitch up for coin so much.. how can our brothers and sisters be comfortable looking at us busting our asses for so little. i guess to some people we are a dollar sign and there is no way we can possibly be related even though we have faces and hands and a body just like they do. makes me sick. we will see our oneness again or we are toasttttttt
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

No, its not. You are trying to use logic to define illogical feelings. Yes, bad things happen in the world all the time, but a healthy person can cope with those things and in turn, if they are touched by them, do something positive to change things. Do not get me wrong I understand where you are coming from with this post as I used to have these same feelings when I was depressed, but now that I am not I can see the flaws in this line of thinking.

You seem to forget that those people that are now paid millions(in most cases) came from poverty themselves. It is true that some wealth is inherited, but it is not always and in most cases does not come easy. Yes Michael Jordan has made an ungodly amount of money, but do you have any idea how much work he had to put into his craft to get to that level? What does it take to become a firefighter? Not much more then passing a civil service exam and physical evaluation.

Also what people are starving and struggling to survive? Those in third world countries? That is horrible it is true, but if you are talking about people in well developed countries such as america, most of the time those people put themselves in those situations.

I happen to like where we are today and where we are going. Right now I am sitting in a heated home, I have food in my stomach and I am typing to you on, what just 5 years ago, would have been considered a super computer. How horrible is that?
  6. Mikeintx

Because in our society today, physical labor is not looked at in the same way a career backed by education is. Yes working in a factory sucks, but with a two year degree in certain fields you could easily be making 40-50k to start. Most factory work is outsourced to countries that can make things cheaper, while out economy is becoming more and more service oriented.
  7. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the 'Michael Jordan spent years honing his craft' statement.

How does that mean he deserves to be paid more than people who studied very little but risk their lives to save us?

I spent years learning origami, does that mean I deserve to be paid more than the Doctor that saved my mother? lol.
  8. Aurora Gory Alice

I can understand where you are coming from, but (although I hate to say it) I'm not sure 90% of people on this forum are depressed because of the world we live in. I think the majority of us are depressed because of personal circumstance.
    Yes I feel bad for others who are less fortunate and I look around me and think "man I exist in a sick sick place", sometimes.
    But the truth is like Romney put it, in order to survive we have to be pragmatic. Because ask yourselves, if things picked up for you and everything was perfect - would you still be depressed? Would you actually still be depressed for other people and their misfortune? I'm guessing no, because we're depressed about what is happening to US not others.

With wealth comes misfortune.
    With good luck comes bad luck.
    With health comes illness.
    With love comes hate.

It's the ying and yang that is life.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  9. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

you r sooooooooo right...i get depressed & suicidal thought everytime here of those things:mellow:
  10. Mikeintx

Because people will not pay hundreds of dollars for tickets to see you do origami. If you have enough talent for art and put enough time and effort into it, maybe one day you could make millions by it(as many painters, writers, etc have).

The doctor that saved your mother has a skill that he honed through years of medical research and application in which your mother found value in. Now what if that same doctor went into a different part of the medical field and went into plastic surgery. Now you may say "oh he does not deserve to make hundreds of thousands of dollars because he is increasing people's narcissism." Well what if he also performed a surgery repairing a small child's face so the child grew up looking normal after a bad car accident? Has your opinion changed now?
  11. Aurora Gory Alice

I have always been a massive advocate for plastic surgery. :)

RE: The Michael Jordan thing. I suppose people paying the hundreds of dollars is the problem really isn't it...

Anyways forgetting Doctors, someone mentioned Firefighters, so I suppose me and my origami (which I can't actually do) and my mothers Doctor wasn't a great example. Firefighters don't deserve more pay because they do not have a craft, yet they risk their lives to save us - what if nobody did that? That's the real question at hand isn't it.

9/11 anybody...? I'm sure Michael Jordan was a great help when the towers were falling.
  12. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan is paid by volunteers. You and me and people like us pay to go to sports events and pay his salary. Try setting up a charity to pay more money to the firefighters and police and e.t.c e.t.c of your area.
    See how many people donate.

It is my ambition in life to join the police force.
    I also know that I would do their job for half the money they're given.
    20-25 grand as a basic salary during your first year depending on which UK force you join with a raise every year and a metric fuckton of room for promotion and movement within the force.
    I cant think of many jobs that offer a wage that high for no qualifications beyond being literate and sensible and moderately strong.
  13. Aurora Gory Alice

I say we take 30% of his salary and give it to our firefighters.
  14. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Yes, thats generally what the 40% tax that everyone earning more than 30,000 in the UK does.
    So for arguments sake, all premiership UK footballers pay more than 30% of their wage to, among other things, firefighters.
  15. Mikeintx

Are you serious? Havn't you heard of taxes? :p ;)
  16. Aurora Gory Alice

HIS salary! Not ours. (lol!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.