Depression and embarrassment?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if you guys are embarrassed to tell people you are depressed or if you admit it to people. Not sure if I have just completely given up, but recently I have told certain people that I was.

2. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Yes. I think there's such a stigma surrounding it, even though it's so common, that it's hard to talk to someone seriously about it. Also, people use the phrase "I'm so depressed" so frequently that it makes me feel uncomfortable saying it to others, because it annoys me to hear people say it when they don't mean it.

Good luck anyone trying to unscramble what I mean! :blink:

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Eventually I stopped caring. I am very open about being depressed and even suicidal.

4. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

Melancholy i totally know what you mean...it's so annoying i have to stop myself using that phrase myself coz people won't even take it seriously anyway, they think you don't mean it...

5. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

As a nuance of my depression, I don't really give a shit. I'll dispense the facts to any whom ask.

6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

My friends/family/work don't know about my depression, it's not through embarrassment I just prefer it that way. I don't like to draw attention to myself.

I agree that there is still a stigma attached to depression & there's also the fact that people use the term depression too loosely these days. It's banded about so often that I think people become suspicious of who is genuine therefore in my opinion the people who are truly depressed are the ones left to suffer in silence. I think I'm scared to admit my depression to people just in case they don't believe me.

It might sound harsh but that's just my experience.

7. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

I don't talk about my depression. When I try, people don't understand that I'm not just feeling a little down. They don't understand that I'm actually extremely, desperately, hopelessly sad and that I wish I would die. I can't tell people things like that. I don't want to, either. A large part is definitely the stigma, but I'm also a private person.

8. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

Oh yes, Something that really pisses me off is this.

"I have depression."

"What are you depressed about?"

People don't seem to understand it's a ubiquitous mood.

9. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Exactly the feeling here. I just do not care anymore. Someone asks me a lot just in passing, "Hey, how is it going", I tell them now everytime...."Same as all ways, I am depressed, hopeless, and moody".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.