depression and modern world

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by hyperion, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperion

hyperion Member

what do you think are the most striking factors of the modern world that lead us to depression and sadness? I don't know,but usually is said that modern times is more plenty of depression than past years..

well I hope yours answers.....

pd.what do you think about my bad english?
    Actually learning another language such as english ,is the better way for my to avoid bad thinkings and depression.

2. Not much wrong with your English I'd say...(a lot of us can't speak or write it properly ourselves and it's our own tongue!). Also good to occupy your mind in other ways - so good for you!

There's a Chinese curse that says - "May you live in interesting times"...
    The turbulence and disorder, violence, inequities, and the demise of the environment are things we hear about constantly now, living in the age of technology and uber-communication. In fact, we're bombarded by it! The ironic thing is that we 'crave' the news (hell - don't wanna MISS anything!)...but all too often it only adds to our growing dismay...

That about covers my point of view in a nutshell...

3. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

- The need to create a "comfortable" life becoming more and more difficult for the average person

- The resulting focus on monetary gain (because of the first point)

- The resulting loss of focus on other people and ultimate detachment (because of the first point)

4. Agreed :)

P.S : What foundandlost said is true :laugh: .

5. Xian

Xian Well-Known Member

more and more we become parts of the machine of industry and as industry grows, in basically every way it alienates us from one another and causes us more stress. capitalism and technology reinforces us as an individual, so we start to feel less and less a member of a community, and thus more vulnerable to harm. so we become more selfish, hostile and fake towards one another and therefore lonely and we start to feel useless and unimportant and often paranoid (which is why we tell lies). even the family unit falls apart and a lot of mental health issues stem from lack of recognition and indifference from parents or the selfishness of our parents with regard to their parenting us.

6. peacegirl

peacegirl Well-Known Member

Hyperion, the world is mad. It really is. It is a surprise that we last this long. Just know that we can overcome the world by learning the truth. We are all wonderful beings. We have so much to give. I hope you remember this before you do something that would be permanent. YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD. This is not religious. This is spiritual. Let's talk, ok?

7. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

We are in a period that's close to the opposite of the Enlightenment. People go to school and go to work because they feel they have to, not because they want to explore their abilities. More people are on medication than ever before. The side effects of these drugs can cause depression. Whereas most people used to graduate college in four years, right out of high school, the tides are turning now, and many students have kids, are taking classes, and working, and it's too much. With a possible World War III in the horizon, now, more than ever, people wish to combat their helplessness for the present into hope for the future, by trying to make money and live large, and by finding distractions, such as myspace, facebook, ipods, and spruced up cell phones, rather than focusing on what they really want.

8. pit

pit Well-Known Member

It's harder to get a job, much less maintain a career. People expect too much from themselves and others. Technology is moving too fast and expects us to keep up with it. Most people are obsessed with material things. It's too easy to fall behind and way too hard to keep up. Institutions like marriage and family are jokes. People are more and more litigious, and will sue at the drop of a hat. Why not? When you live in a punishment, material based society, that's what it comes down to. The prison industry is one of the most lucrative, raking in millions of dollars each year. And I don't have to remind you how disabled our health care industry is. America's priorities are military, sports, and entertainment. A pro athlete will rake in millions a year, while a teacher or social worker will make thousands. The only way you can be all you can be is if you're dead.

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

1. There are too many "educated" people who are actually the biggest morons on the face of the planet pretending that everything they are represents the very picture and model of normality.

2. Selfishness has been taken to extremes. It was always present and always a problem. But in times gone by, people recognized it as a problem. Now only certain forms of selfishness are considered bad. It's considered OK to step on people on your way to the top (and relish it) as long as you step on the right people (Read: People society at large have no love or sympathy for).

3. Technology is dehumanizing. It makes living your life without coming into contact with other people or having to depend on human beings much easier.

4. People actually believe that because our technological prowess has improved so much, we've moved beyond our basic human nature. People believe a Holocaust (or something very much like it) could never happen in a country like America. And they believe that simply because it was long (enough) ago in a country far away. They feel they would recognize the warning signs even though the recent past has clearly shown that the vast majority of people obviously don't recognize signs that could be warnings.

Human nature is something that always needs to be kept in check. People may be "basically good" but everyone has their own definition of "good". People will do things that are very wrong if they believe they are necessary (for whatever reason).

In short - We still haven't learned our lesson. And perhaps we never will. It's just a depressing realization.

5. It's easier than ever for those at the top to pretend those at the bottom either don't exist or that when they do, they made their own beds hard. Too many people are too comfortable. It's too easy and too socially acceptable to be apathetic to the plight of the disadvantaged. Those who were born into a world that shuns them, beats them down and takes pleasure in kicking them once they're down.

6. Problems are always the fault of those who encounter them. Everything else is perfect. They're just doing something wrong.

10. "Globalization" achieved $olely through Corporate intere$t$!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

11. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Modern world just makes the depression even harder. In the past, it was easier to kill yourself, but today, theyll find a way to 'save' your life and theyll tell you that its bad because you want to end your pain.

12. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

do you mean the developed world, industrial world?

i don't know.

there are people in lots of different cultures, at different times who've felt 'depressed' who've killed themselves, who've felt there is no hope.
    i was talking to my mother a long while ago about how she grew up - generally i don't think people on my mother's side were ever in touch with their emotions- bringing up the family and getting the children "educated" and working was the main aim. a bit like having a factory. i look at her childhood and i don't think she ever had her parents' love or felt love so didn't know how she felt about her emotions.

i don't like the world i live in no. or the society i live in. people don't care about how people feel. it's always competition. feelings don't matter. but in my mother's childhood (1950s rural malaysia) that was also the case and look at her side of the family now. load of lonely psychopaths who think they are so normal...:rolleyes: but are at each other's throats all the time. she's the only slightly okay one in the family i trust.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.