Depression at work.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by CellarDoor, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CellarDoor

CellarDoor Guest

Okay, I think I should put this here because this depresses me a lot. I am mortified of going to work everyday. I work at fast food, and there are old people that work there with me, they are like 30+ some are even 60, I am scared I am going to end up like them. People come in and order food and I can't help like feel they are judging me. I find no admiration in myself by making people food, giving it to people who think there better then everyone that works there. Working makes me sad also because you do the same thing everyday, over and over and over, where is change? There is no change, your just a mindless soul who's soul purpose is to work to get by, there has to be more to life then working, Working gives you money and without money you can't do anything. I am just a amature in this game I cannot win. I am hopeless every time I go to work, I really don't know how to describe it other then the for the workforce drowning, because that's how I feel. Were all in over our head drowning in the seconds, single file everyday morning, tell night, when will this end? Pretty soon this is just going to fill my lungs, and become like everyone else. Drowning with the waves that crash over me. Drowning in the workforce. Were nothing but salves, I feel like a slave, I really don't have any choice, but to work tell death. Like I am married to a job, tell death due us part. I don't know what else to say...
  2. silence1one

silence1one Member

I used to feel like that before,like a zombie,in work,at home and life in general until suddenly one day I discovered that simple pleasure of able to serve others in public with a big cheerful smile and choose to make the best of situation everyday.It is a pretty tall order to be spirited day in day out but please do give it a try.Thinking of you.
  3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

reminded me of welcome to the machine

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Where have you been?
    It's alright we know where you've been.
    You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
    Provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'.
    You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
    And you didn't like school, and you
    know you're nobody's fool,
    So welcome to the machine.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    What did you dream?
    It's alright we told you what to dream.
    You dreamed of a big star,
    He played a mean guitar,
    He always ate in the Steak Bar.
    He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
    So welcome to the Machine.

guess try not to get sucked into it. work is just a tool for you to for something you enjoy and want in life. find the best in it and strive for something that makes you feel good
  4. lifeisnoteasy

lifeisnoteasy Member

I can understand your situation, i will give you an example of mine, i hope it can help you. I came to this country 6 years ago as a student. I was looking for the job; i came for higher studies with lot of hope and dreams. I was in financial problems and i was desperate to work anywhere, fortunately or unfortunately a friend of mine introduced me to a guy. He is from the same country where i am from, he was looking for the guy who can work at his restaurant, i agreed to work. Now comes the part which taught me a big lesson of my life...
    He told me he will paid me 3.5 $/hour. I agreed because i was new to the country and i was in need. Second condition i need to be there at 9AM and i will finish at 10:30PM but he will pay me for only 12 hour because only that time the restaurant will be open, other time i will help him to do the cleaning.
    After working 2 months i realized that i am underpaid and exploited, i was not happy with my job, i used to cry in the train when i come back from the work, i used to feel sad when i see families coming to the restaurant for food and they are so happy and it reminded me of my parents back home, about my life there, i never worked like this there. But any way i was unhappy, sad, and was thinking that is that my destination, you are passing through the same situation, i looked around with positive attitude, that definitely will get better job then there, from that 3.5$ i have in millions in 6 years, i never gave up, i tried tried and tried, and always tried to learn from my past.
    That first job taught me that never exploit any one, consider every one equal, there are people around me who needs small small things more than i need, i started respecting the work and never evaluate by there job.
    If you are working as cook, be proud on that, u r the one who is helping some one to satisfy his hunger. Try look around, try to find any other job, i don't know your age, but i feel you are in 20s, if you really wanna go in cooking side, then join some culinary course, polish your skills and get job in such a place where people dream to work for, where you feel respected.
    You have lot of opportunity the question is how for you can see and take the risk.
    Best of luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.