Depression etc affecting 6th form work

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by anarulesmenow, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Hey, over the years I have suffered from alcoholism,depression,eating disorders,anxiety etc and up until a few months ago I was able to keep it under control.However, recently it's been a lot harder.I have 6th form(a level) exams which start in a month and I am unable to revise.I literally can't do, because of these things. Does anybody else find this?
    My work has gone downhill and I am not getting the grades I need, yet I can't actually make myself work, even though I want to be able to.
    There is a lot of pressure from my 6th form and from my parents to do well, and I know I am not going to.I know it's nothing major but I'm stuck as to what to do, I can't get out of this rut.

2. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

i find this alot, im doing my GCSE's so not so important, but still the pressures are there, even with them there i still do not have the motivation to do well anymore.
    can you talk to anyone about how u are feeling, i have and they are trying to help me :hug: i think it is a perfectly normal reaction, but its a pain in the arse to get the motivation, unless u have someone else trying to help u find it again. hope things improve soon.

3. anarulesmenow

Yeah I just cant work.Im thinking of dropping out, but as the exams are so soon everyones like'What a waste that will be'.Im scared of failing though, Im really scared of it

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

You could try talking to your tutors about it. I found after they knew, they got off my back and left me in peace. After that pressure goes, you might find doing a little is easier.

6th form was the worst two years of my life. Remember your health comes first, not any of those papers, teachers, your parents or anyone else.

5. 8125

8125 Well-Known Member

hi. i know your post is a few days old but i just want to say that i understand what you're saying because i'm in the same position. and it sucks. but i hope that knowing someone knows what it's like is a slight comfort or...i dunno really...they say it's supposed to help.

i've had depression and disordered eating for...a long time. can't remember. i'm in upper sixth, competitive school, parents who expect a lot, high university grades etc etc so there's a lot of pressure to do well. and i've always been somewhat scared of failure.
    but i just can't anymore. no motivation. feels like everything is just falling apart around me as i watch. scares me a lot, losing control like this.

i know i probably can't help, but i hope you at least don't feel too alone. i'm here if you need a friend.

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

when you get out have a party. i was in a similar environment and it was just not for me.:dry:

all i can say to you and the OP is this. before you go into an exam think 'fuck this' i don't give a toss. i got top marks at the end. i was so relaxed, and everybody around me was in knots. the mindset before you sit an exam is so important, if you think it doesn't matter, than all the anxiety surrounding it just melts and you think, who cares? and you perform a lot better especially if you freeze under pressure.

also another thing- the two words are Past Papers. exams nowadays are all about jumping through hoops. once you get the hang of how an examiner is going to see you, it's all about knowing how to apply the little that you're supposed to cram. but that's for essay writing things like english and stuff. science/maths might be a completely different story...

7. 8125

8125 Well-Known Member

that made me smile :) thank you

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

good! your post made my day :smile:

9. anarulesmenow

im just not sure what u could say to my teachers or parents.there are a lot if expectations for me.they might see it as just an excuse.

10. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I'd say tell them.. As a few have said, it'll most likely remove some of the pressure and also you may be able to use any doctor's notes etc to fill in an extenuating circumstances form.

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Tell them you're unwell and you're going through mental health problems that is effecting your work.

It's up to them how they take it, but personally speaking, a tutor who really liked me, (rather than wanting to kick me out) said many people felt the way I did. You're not the only one who might feel so badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.