Depression & FMLA (U.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tired82

Is anyone familiar with FMLA (in U.S.) with depression?

I've been absent from work for about 6 days in the last 2 months because I felt like I didn't want to get out of bed & go to work. My supervisor asked about the absence the last time I called out, and I'd told him it was a medical issue. He said to bring in medical documentation.

I read about having medical certification & company approval, but I didn't ask my psychiatrist for the certification since I've started seeing her, and I was worried about my job finding out about my depression.

Does the certification have to be approved before the absent days are counted as FMLA? Or can it qualify afterwards?

Would appreciate any insight on this.

sakuragirl

Most companies will provide upto 12 wks FMLA for a chronic condition. This is basically one that your doctor says needs ongoing treatment to rehabilitate you to be fit for work. Mental health issues do qualify for this, however normally Dr's only give it after psychiatric evaluation states that you cannot work so a PCP would not be a single option, both doctors must be willing to sign you from work.

this is how the company I work for handles is as per legal status, each company and state is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00