Depression/food

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by oval, May 18, 2011.

1. oval

oval Well-Known Member

I found an article about what we can eat to help to correct the chemical imbalance in the brain that causes depression and mental illness. No more :cake: !
    Let's see if my
    linkworks. I'm on my phone and it's a pain in the ass copying links.

I corrected it, Thanks. I can't be bothered with trying to put the link I'm again :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  2. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

i dont think link 1 is right but link 2 looks good.

thanks for the links :)

3. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

thanks for the links

4. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

Thank you for the link.

Maybe one day advice like this will get through to my thick head.I pretty much know that gorging on cheeseburgers isn't going to improve my mood.

The right path yeah?We should all get on it,invite each other around for a walnut salad and a chilled glass of carrot juice.

Ah,if only ti was that easy. :)

5. oval

oval Well-Known Member

:laugh: I can't do carrot juice but walnut salad sounds good! I had one with sun flower seeds the other day and it was delicious. Besides the dressing.
    personally, eating healthy makes me feel great. I tore up a big orange and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast this morning
    Having in mind that eating more healthily might improve your mood, isn't it worth a try?

6. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

lol sounds great, need to make a note on that

7. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I believe that eating healthy does contribute to mental wellbeing but I also think there are quite a few other factors to take into account and get as right as you can alongside it.

8. Sleepwalk

Sleepwalk Well-Known Member

I haven't followed the links yet but as a sugar addict I can tell you that sugar is a brutal depressant. I have binged on sugar and seen my mood almost immediately plunge downward.

9. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Hey sleepwalk, I gave up chocolate a few months ago - I'd binge on it - or I'd eat those two packs of the big Galaxy bars, or a 6 pack of the normal ones, in one sitting.

I guess I'd spend £10 - £15 a week on chocolate.

I don't put weight on - no matter what I eat, so its not an incentive for me to give up and lose weight.

So, I gave up, but if anything, my mood has been worse than it was when I ate 6 bars of Galaxy, followed by maybe a couple of flake bars, maybe a Walnut Whip.

I did not count the packet of chocolate biscuits!

No Easter Egg was safe near me. Children near a chocoholic, the tears will flow! I have taken a child's Easter Egg - but they get so many these days!

So, anyhow, in my experience, giving up this chocolate had no actual effect of making me feel healthy. Never lightened my mood - but I never really 'felt' a buzz from the sugar overload either. Just loved the taste - and a nice bar with a nice cups of tea, or a packet of 6, was really pleasant. That said, I ate alone - I never shared my last Malteaser with anyone.

My dentist is happy now though. He blames sugar and diet and not brushing teeth 3 times a day for most of the problems.

And I guess I save enough money to go on holiday, easily.

Or buy something nice - a nice sofa perhaps for my study.

Actually, I feel happier now knowing I've saved enough money to even get a date with a beautiful, soulful, magnificent guitar.

I got my eye on a special one, but I'd have to give up chocolate for 4 years to buy it.

Maybe I could 'trick' myself into buying it based on the gross savings of the next five years combined with the benefits of owning now.

So, good luck regardless.