Depression is Anger turned inwards

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Brighid Moon, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I think this can go for hatred of ourselves and/or hatred of others. Found this Googling because I know I have so much anger and hatred and it's a big part of my anxiety and depression. It may be that way for others as well.

2. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

I can see alot of my reasoning in this

good post, but it makes me feel like im clinging to a tacky hatred
    how could you possibly get over what someone has done to you, the one that you have hated for so long? a hatred so strong that you block it out for most of your life, because the events surrounding this person were so painful for you as a child?

that makes it slightly worse, knowing that there is an option to forgive, but unable to do so. again, how the hell do you do that?

sorry, but this was a good thread *gives thumbs up*

3. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I don't have any of those answers, I struggle with it on a 24-hour basis and it affects all of my dealings with others (and myself) in every way imaginable. But I did think it was an awesome article and it gives food for thought! I highly doubt I'd be able to fix myself as simply as what the article describes, or I'd have done so already.

4. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

sorry brighid moon, i wasnt expecting an answer...just venting

i also think its a great article...but its probably too soon for a few issues...didnt mean to rant in here ^^

5. Menchi

Menchi Well-Known Member

I totally understand this, happens to me alot, to the point where its hard to tell which (though probably both), that i am feeling.

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am able to forgive yet the anger still remains. I know really alcohol and youth stupidity they were to blame i really just want to forget now I think if one could just forget then the anger would go away. I can't seem to forgive me in all this equation i only hold hate towards me why being so young i know i had nothing to do with this but i still hate me so much.

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

If anyone's been abused then all that is completely understandable. Rather than 'beliefs' a lot of those statements about "what caused" could be sickeningly true.

Anger and hatred can be useful to stop cycles going. it can be protective. It can challenge out there but it has to be communicated in the way which makes people listen to what you have to say. I prefer this to the numbing/silencing that I've been through for so long and other people encouraged. Especially if it means getting away, saving oneself, screaming to the people who have hurt you rather than hurting oneself. 'Negative feelings' can be so so useful in saving one's life by protecting it from death and others killing or damaging it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm not sure I completely understand the concept of hatred here. For example, I'm sometimes still angry at my ex for the things he said or did, or how the divorce affected my life, but I don't think I actually hate him. Yet there are times, usually stressful ones, when I would make some statements such as those listed...

These seem to me to be angry statements, but not necessarily or always hateful. Maybe it depends on the specific situations and how far along each person is with "getting over/through it."

Eeek...I don't think I hate him. I don't wish nasty things for him. Have I misunderstood something here? Anyone...?

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I can relate, Acy. Yesterday I was talking "to my ex", as if she was there and I was saying all this really violent angry bitter stuff, it felt good for about 3 minutes...but afterwards I just felt- how much of that had depth. Do I really hate her? I thought I did, but the feeling was superficial and not as deep as the anger I feel about a lot of other things. I am angry at her yes (so angry and disgusted I left her).

Or was the blankness I was feeling after doing all that some kinda guilty numbing because I was attached to her for so long?

Anyway, I can relate to your confusion. What's wrong with hating and wishing nasty things on the people who have hurt you though?

I like the gender differences in each statement. It's like two people having a conversation if you read it through... I loved the "her lust for other men was insatiable. I was left alone. I still feel the pain of her rejection. If he had done what I asked him to do in the first place...."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  10. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

:laugh: You're right, it is like a convo.

I think we all have those moments when we think and feel that way. But deep down, beyond the moment, I don't really want others to hurt just because they've hurt me.

But for sure, we all have those moments. Maybe it's the fight or flight instinct in homo sapiens. We don't "have" to act on it because we're "rational" beings. I dunno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.