Depression is weakness?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Greenforest, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

Do you ever feel that way?

Sometimes I'm too numb to think anything, but other times I feel I'm weak. Other people would get over bad things, but I'm too weak and get depressed? Sorrow is for weak ones, for losers and wimps?

I've tried to drown my sorrow and anxiety behind aggression, but that takes only the first away, leaving the anxiety. Though maybe the emotionless feeling I get is what real men are? Tough and aggressive beaters, who at least don't whine at forums like this?

2. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I almost think its a generational thing. My father would never, ever, in a million years post on a forum like this...regardless of what he was going through. His entire world could collapse and he might cry privately, but nobody would ever actually see it, and he certainly wouldnt post on a forum about it...probably wouldnt even talk about it. I wonder what this next generation will be like. The so called "emo" gen. Mens "culture", and how men should behave, has changed so much in the last 50 years. We were told woman didnt particularly want the macho, beer swilling, undomesticated, male, so then we had the new age male, and now we have the emo male, which is the most "feminine" yet. Maybe society wants men to be women? Leaving aside equality (which still doesnt exist in the truest sense), and women entering the workforce, going to university etc. Im not sure the basic nature of women has changed a great deal in the last 50 years....in terms of there psychy/behaviour. For men its changed quite radically.

I think its good for guys to be in touch with how they feel. I know for me, and I suspect for a lot of guys, it means being in touch with a lot of anger simmering away under the surface, a lot of self hate, a lot of despair for the future, and that ever present feeling of loneliness which so many guys in this forum suffer with, especially younger guys. Strange isnt it...all the dating sites in the world, nightclubs, newspapers, sports, chat rooms, social networking sites, theres never been so many ways to find someone....and still so many of us are alone, not to mention where outnumbered lol

3. p3cky

p3cky Account Closed

i am sorry but emo's aren't any more "feminine" as a normal "person" at all

4. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

I dont consider depression a weakness i consider life cruel at times. We are all only human and can only cope with so much at one time. I was once told that life is like a bowl of water put to much in your bowl and it will spill out if you can mange to remove a little at a time by dealing with issues you may just manage to keep a flood at bay

Keep safe

5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Society views depression as weakness and I hope that stops, anyone that has depression is in a way very very strong and I salute them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.