Depression makes it hard to eat

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Royfokker, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royfokker

Royfokker Member

I feel I am too skinny and I want to put on weight. I have been weightlifting to overcome this but my psychological problems prevent me from making more substantial progress. I hit ruts of severe depression where it is hard for me to eat and I find myself staring infront a plate of food, hungry, wishing to eat, but not being able to do actually do it. I hear lots of people talking about being overweight because when they feel down it makes them eat, how come the corollary is never talked about? Is there a specific name for this condition?
  2. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

Well, the thing about weightlifting is you definitely got to eat in order to really build some muscles. If you are underweight, then you won't be seeing results. I understand how depression affect one's appetite. I mean, my appetite is just like my feelings - they both have an extreme ease of change. Sometimes when I am feeling real down and low, I feel like I won't eat at all and even if I do, all I feel like eating is junk food and nothing else. And at times I feel the uncontrollable urge to drink caffeine and more caffeine when I am severely depressed.

There are times I felt an overwhelming need to eat and its mostly deep friend food or something spicy. I feel like I just have to. I am not sure if there is a specific name for it though. But I know changes in appetite is for sure a symptom of depression. Have you tried taking some weight gain supplements? I am not really into these stuff but if you really find it hard to gain weight, you might wanna try just a little but first, to understand what the product is and the side effects (if any) before taking it.

What do you like to eat? Maybe you can try eating only what you like to first to make weight gain easier?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.