Depression Medication rates

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Fishman, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishman

Fishman Guest

Does anyone know the % of people on anti-depressant medication in any countries. I've heard in the west there is a blanket 20% figure of people on medication for depression. I wonder about that.
  2. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Too many IMO ... no idea what the stats are though.
  3. Why not do a Google search like (for instance):

world demographics - antidepressant users/use

(I ain't gonna do it for you... Good luck!) :wink:
  4. Fishman

Fishman Guest

I did but couldn't find any clear data that was freely available, lot of statistics on illegal drug prevalence though.

heres something interesting I found from Australia
    since 1990, the number of prescriptions for anti-depressants has risen from five million a year to 12 million in a population of just 20 million,
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  5. lilella44

lilella44 Well-Known Member

well i was looking up info on the a/d i got prescribed to (Zoloft), and last year in America there was 26 million prescriptions for it! what is this world coming to...
  6. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

Yes, the west certainly has more depressed/unhappy people even though the people are far more privelleged. I read a report that stated the happiest countries in this world are obvious third world countries like Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Dominica, Bangladesh, Thailand etc. Despite the fact that these countries are plagued with theocracies, diseases, natural disasters, myriad of mismanagement problems, internal strifes, economical issues etc. People are generally happy over there because it seems they are very satisfied with very little. Countries like US, Britain, France, Japan, Germany were ranked > 100 in that study.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.