Depression medicine, trying to understand why.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Every second of my life is worry, self hate, and suicidal thoughts. I wish I was dead, it is as simple as that. I know I am depressed, but I am trying to understand why if you are depressed would you want to or need to go on depression medicine. What I am trying to say is doenst all the medicine do is "hide" why you are depressed it doesnt solve the actual reason that you are depressed.
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i don't look on medication as "hiding" or masking depression, in my view medication just helps you be strong enough so that you can tackle those underlying reasons in therapy (or in a support group, or with your doctor -- whatever works for you).

i look on medication as a life buoy - it's just keeping me afloat. it doesn't solve the problem of not knowing how to swim, or even answer the questions of why i'm in deep water. it is just keeping me afloat.
  3. HomerSimpson

I understand what you are saying and thanks. Dont think I am against it I just never understood it in the terms you just said. If I had the money I would be on something myself or at least in therapy.
  4. k_pressy

k_pressy Well-Known Member

Personally medication just seems like some form of rope trying to keep you together. But when the rope comes untied and you suddenly realise everything is the same, tablets or not, thats when you feel at your lowest.

Its different from person to person though. Some see medication as a very beneficial form of treatment, others choose counselling. Others, such as myself, can't seem to find help[ from either form. So they plod along hoping one day something will come around that will just make it all go away.

but how long do we have to wait?
  5. HomerSimpson

For me hopefully not long. I wish for that day when I can lose that little false hope that keeps me going.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.