Depression, Suicide, and religion

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by DannyBoy, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

Where do I start this.

Over the past year I've pretty much had my mind collapse on me. Things I thought were true became false. Emotions I have became meaningless. I went from struggles with OCD, panic, hypochondria, to being overmedicated and have suicidal depression. I even realize how meaningless my thoughts are and that they too can be tampered with.

Now I question everything. My faith in god or even an afterlife was shaken causing me to dissociate. It was as if my brain couldn't process the realization that there might not be anything left for me.

So that's where I sit now. I'm medicated now to where the depression is under control, but I've totally lost any hope in life or humanity. I don't feel any purpose and the meaning of life alludes me. I wish I could go back to a time when I was younger and didn't think about death and suicide so often. Not thinking is blissful.

Is there anyone left with faith that can cheer me up?

2. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I found a sense of faith - and I prefer that word to religion - some time after my lowest points in depression. Feeling this way is enough to shake trust in anything and everything we hold dear. My advice would be that firstly - depression is an illness.

It is a chemical inbalance in the brain which causes us to lose the ability to cope as we have been. It is not your fault, it is not proof of anything other than the human body is a fragile instrument.

It does not mean you are a faliure.

You have not lost faith in humanity, if you had then you would not have posted these personal and complex feelings in a public place to a group of people you have never met.

Purpose in life? Your purpose in life is to live life. Your purpose is to be the best that you are able. That is not the same as what you think you should be or what others expect. The most important person in your life, and the one you're most responsible for is you.

I hope that maybe helps,
    Blessing,
    Chris

3. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

Thanks for your message.

I only disagree with your last line. About living life for me. I have been doing that, but ultimately I'm unhappy. I'm not motivated. And I see no purpose to going on most days.

I try to keep faith, but the more I look around at how messed up our world is the more I begin to believe we're nothing more than meat and bones floating around on a rock in total chaos.

I think suicides and mental illness are what really led me to question my faith.

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe anyone actually lives for themselves. Chances are, people live for those they love. All the 'happy' people have 'social lives', so they have someone/people to live for. That make them happy. Most of us here have relatively no one or were betrayed by someone close to us. Resulting in our current mindest: No one gives a shit, so why the fuck would I. Life is other people. If we didn't have other people - the people we hold dear or think we do - we wouldn't be here.

Who knows? Maybe we are just a bunch of somewhat evolved chimps running around with firearms killing each other on a rock floating in a sea of nothingness. Or maybe there's something bigger, something more meaningful behind all this? I guess that's for you to decide.

How messed up is our world? Where are you looking? Yes there are some exceedingly fucked areas of our existence, but where you don't look there's the good things in life. And sometimes we just can't see it. Keeping in mind we're more likely to emphasise the negative than the postive.

:hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.