Dermatillomania and feeling crazier...Writing this to calm down actually.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Aphorism, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

I have developed anxiety over the past few years. This has resulted in my subsequent development of compulsive-skin picking disorder, or dermatillomania.

When it comes to the school year, my scratching becomes prevalent. Whether it is sitting a classroom, actually managing some homework, concentrating on a lesson, distracting myself from HW, or just plain walking down the halls...My tendency to scratch becomes regular. While it's not every day, at least every few weeks, I'll have a bad scratching session. I generally have only harmed my arms, hands, and lower back. These places will often scab over, and then a scar will be left in its place.

Although people ask me about this, and since most people are totally in the dark about derma, I am not so ashamed of the scars. I don't mind telling people that I pick my skin as a compulsion I find similar to nail-biting; possibly more disgusting, though.

My issues lately have not been school related, but interpersonal related. A lot has happened to me since I last wrote on this forum. And I had derma those years when I first found SuicideForum...but I never scarred this much. Over the years, I seem to be slowly getting stranger and feeling crazier. I don't know, though, on the outside I look very stable.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

inner turmoil will only increase hun unless you have an outlet for it. You use scratching your skin to do that Have you not hun reached out for some therapy for some councilling to help you stop this behavior You can learn a new way to let out the anxiety one that won't leave scars hugs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.