Describe 3 persons who have made an influence/impact on your personal life and development

BarryW

SF Supporter
  • One of my previous bosses - they have remained the standard against who all other bosses have been measured (and not measured up to). This person was very respectful, knew what they were talking about, and was not afraid to get their hands dirty. I hope to one day be able to work for an equally (or more!) amazing person, but feel it is unlikely.
  • A friend from middle school (and beyond) - Helped me get out of some bad things in my life and become my own person. We aren't close anymore but I am grateful forever to them. They probably saved my life although they don't know it. I am tearing up just writing this.
  • A certain music composer who wrote so much life-changing amazing music that still touches my heart almost 25 years after I first heard some of their work.
Great thread idea, thanks.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
1. My first born, I fell so in live 26 years ago with her and also know the heartbreak of estrangement.

2. An impact of someone helping me as an adult with a down payment for my house. There is a price to pay though.

3. Social worker I can remember intervening and getting me out and back into my foster home.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
My mother.
Her dad.
Her mom.

The three people I was closest with in my life and learned the most from.

Now I agree that Al Bundy deserves honorable mention. :)

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Edgar Allan Poe
Stanley Kubrick (or!) Akira Kurosawa -impossible to choose. . ; )~*•|>
Ashleigh K. ;) unfortunately, this one’s not in a “positive!” Direction: but if truth’s being told then.....) & the “Kay,” is her Mid•dle initial- ;) 🌊 🙋‍♀️ 👋

cymbele

SF Supporter
1. A guy named Jim who 20 years ago told me if I learned to love myself - and that I will - I will be happy. He was correct but it - learning to love myself - took a long time. I haven't seen Jim in over 15 years though. But I remember him.
2. My daughter without whom I would not be alive. gave me meaning to stay alive during the difficult times and loves me unconditionally
3. The rest blurs because it could be this friend who is unconditionally a good friend or that friend that accepts me as I am or that family member that stood by me during my hospitalizations or....

I am loved and I don't know why I still have suicidal impulses but they have considerably lessoned.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
I probably should’ve just said, John Lennon or Nick Drake -(but i
Guess that this is what you get when you don’t have an edit option any more ~*~) x o ex oh!;)!

snowraven

I probably should’ve just said, John Lennon or Nick Drake -(but i
Guess that this is what you get when you don’t have an edit option any more ~*~) x o ex oh!;)!
I've been a big admirer of Nick Drake for many years. Music is one of the most uplifting things I know in life. There are times when listening to the Pink Moon album is the thing which helps me more than anything. Also love John Martyn who wrote the track Solid Air for and about Nick. John Lennon is pretty good too. You clearly have good musical taste. Best wishes

snowraven

If we are talking here about positive influences then it's probably an uncle who bought me my first guitar when I was 12. The friend who took me off to the mountains one day from where I developed a life long love of mountaineering. And the biggest of all my child who gave me strength through the hardest of times.

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
I'm going to politely ignore the "no parents" request.

Mom:

positive - taught me how to cook.

negative - everything else

Dad:

positive influence - taught me good work ethic

My son:

positive - taught me patience

negative (though I hold him blameless) - made me realize that I'm really not cut out to be a parent and that I had no business having a child

George Carlin:

positive - opened my eyes and taught me what life in this country (and world) is really all about

negative - I burn a lot of otherwise productive hours watching clips from his lectures (cleverly disguised as stand-up)

snowraven

I'm going to politely ignore the "no parents" request.

Mom:

positive - taught me how to cook.

Dad:

positive influence - taught me good work ethic

My son:

positive - taught me patience

negative (though I hold him blameless) - made me realize that I'm really not cut out to be a parent and that I had no business having a child

George Carlin:

positive - opened my eyes and taught me what life in this country (and world) is really all about

negative - I burn a lot of otherwise productive hours watching clips from his lectures (cleverly disguised as stand-up)
It's always good to listen to George.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Matt - One of the only people in my life who hasn't encouraged me to be someone else. Showed me love and compassion. Allows me to make my mistakes. Supported and encouraged me when I decided to get clean. I could really go on for awhile here. My life is better because he's a part of it.

Mr. D. - Teacher in high school who took the time to try to teach me spelling. I don't know that a lot of stuck, but he didn't make me feel stupid because I had a spelling level much lower than I should. He taught me mainly how to get things close enough that spell check will get it lol.

Chris - Taught me both some great lessons and some horrible lessons.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00