Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Malcontent, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I'm wondering, after a long time of self harming (years), whether it's possible to become desensitised to pain.

I accidentally cut my knee on a screw sticking out of my desk tonight (I made it, which is why it's shoddy!) and I only noticed when I felt the blood trickling into my shoe :blink: Admittedly I was concentrating quite hard on my computer screen at the time, but still I would've thought I'd have noticed the pain. It hurts like a bastard now!

Has anyone else experianced stuff like this?

(ps sorry for my bad spelling)
  2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have done that before too Mal. Once at school, I ran into the cymbals as a student turned around. They asked if I was okay and I said fine. The room got really quiet and one of the kids pointed out I had blood running down my face. I actually needed stictches. Don't know if it is desensitization or not. I do know it was a little disconcerting knowing I hadn't noticed and it scared the kids. :( Anyway, one of my experiences.
  3. blub

blub Guest

Happens a lot to me too, than i suddenly see bruises or blood. But that has always been like that, because i always fall from the stairs etc and hit everything against the furniture or something. But I always notice that kind of things later, and dont know how it happened.
  4. Jess

Jess Guest

I think it's possible.

Get hit hard enough, enough times during basketball season.. that now I hardly notice when I get my feet taken right out from under me and land elbows first on the hardwood floor. just get up and keep going.....

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I've always had a high pain threshold (and have the scars to prove it :laugh:) Fell on broken glass when I was a kid and didnt even notice that my knees were hanging in shreds till my nan screamed :laugh:

Perhaps this is why I dont self harm (interesting hypothesis) I don't feel it so whats the point.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.