Desire is the mind killer

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ziggy, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Desires make us unhappy. I want to be rich, I want to be loved etc. It can't be good for us.

I posted a question on this forum, and realised I desired an answer, I wanted to communicate to another person. I had to edit that thread... the existence of others isn't of any concern to me, it's just a desire. It's ultimately destructive.

Maybe I want people to respond to this thread.... that's so wrong. So why post it? Why pursue that which destroys us? Human nature I guess.
  2. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I think there are desires that are realistic and then desires that are never going to happen.

Like, i sometimes post a thread and desire someone to reply, thats ok, its not a false hope. But then i wanna win the lotto and that can hurt me cause i will never win the lotto and then i can get upset about it.

As long as we are realistic about our desires then i think it can be ok.
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I agree with you there...desires gives us purpose...I want to get a degree, to stay in school, to make someone happy, I want chocolate...none of these are gotta be realistic..and like in everything there's the positive and negative...we just gotta balance it out...
  4. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

It's true that people often desire things that can do them harm but I think the fact that we realize they can do us harm is what makes the difference. We have the power of reason, we might want to pursue things that won't end well for us but whether we do it or not is still a matter of choice in the end.
  5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I always know the Lotto numbers beforehand and could by this time be a multi- billionaire. I am however of superior ethical temperament and choose not abuse my paranormal powers of precognition.
  6. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I on the other hand have absolutely NO problem what so ever in abusing yout paranormal powers of precognition so tell me tell me tell me!!!! :D
  7. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Machiavelli once said that ambition is a human disease. I personally believe it to be a double-edged sword: it can be a source of motivation (desire for a career, money, etc), but it can also be a source of constant disappointment or even greed.

Like any emotion it requires balance, moderation, and self-control.
  8. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

You're desiring to not desire. Oh the vicious cycle continues...
  9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well that's the Buddhist philosophy :)
    I tend to agree.
    But... why do we desire anything?
  10. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think its an extension of our basic human needs, like eat, sleep, mate etc. We desire the things that we think will make our lives better, our comfort us, which will create a better life for us and our offspring. I agree with Zurkhardo, it can be a double-edged sword, but I think for the most part it is beneficial.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.