Developing alcoholism.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Nicole_O91, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

[My dad's an alcoholic and I heard on TV last night that children with alcoholic parents and 4 to 7 times more likely to become an alcoholic themselves. What do you think? I'm 18 and I've drank socially since I was 12, but never felt any addiction. I'm still worried by it though, even though alcohol is pretty much the only thing I've not used to block out pain.]
  2. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

The old quote is "Drink makes a good friend but a bad master".Just be aware of how much you have. Best wishes.:smile:
  3. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

Quotes are all well and good, but it's not enough to make me stop. I've read a miilion and one self-harm and suicide quotes, yet I still self-harm and am suicidal.
    Thanks anyway, I'll bare it in mind though cause it is a good quote I suppose.
  4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

Ain't nobody here with a crystal ball but I will say that a child of 12, 13, even 14 doesn't "drink socially."

Also, you're worried. Let your concern guide you. We can't.

5. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

They do where I come from, it's absolutely normal. The vast mjaority of people, friends, I know started drinking at 12/13.
    By socially, I mean I didn't buy alcohol for myself and drink it alone just to get by - I drank with friends and in social situations, never alone or just for the sake of it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.