diagnoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is just something that has been playing on my mind for a bit

when i was younger i remember being told by my therapist that they thought i had manic depression, then a couple of years later a different psych decided i had depression and dysthymia then a year later another psych said the closest diagnosis was borderline personality disorder but i had to stop seeing him and my gp has just gone back to treating me for depression cus he thinks im just depressed (though he hasnt read my past therapy notes etc)
its just all got me a bit confused
im not sure what im asking from this post, sorry, i just need it out of my head
xx

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
hm sounds confusing. psychiatry is not a perfect science.
Have you researched these disorders and come up with a diagnosis for yourself you think best fits you?

Scum

It can be very confusing, but remember that a diagnosis or a label doesn't change your problems or who you are. Each professional will treat you in whatever way they think might help you. Also, they take only the info from that particular time, and depending on how you feel, you will present slightly differently. That's why it is important to have a longer term relationship with a professional, often, because that gives them a better overview than just one assessment.

I do feel for you. How are you?

yeh thats true, i suppose in the end it doesnt really matter to me what the 'label' im given actually is
i think sometimes i just want to know, i think it might help me fight it, but looking at the wider picture knowing a name isnt really gonna do alot for me
im not doing too good, the only support im currently getting is seeing my gp, and things are just going downhill
thanks both for your replies
xx

SweetSurrender

Perhaps you can ask you GP for another referral to a psych dr and you can tell him all these past diagnosis and tell him you symptoms etc and ask for a current diagnosis? If you feel that is something that will help you in the long term then maybe it is something to consider? Of course what you need is not a label but an effective treatment plan, and yeh mental health isn''t an exact science, but the more accurate your diagnosis, the more accurate your treatment management plan can be, and the quicker you get better! I don't know much about bpd and bipolar but from what i do know they have completely different emphasis's in treatment - bipolar is more medication based, bpd is more therapy based (i think!).

ps - sorry for the poor grammar and spelling in this post, there were a lot of words i'm not sure how to spell as a plural! :shy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00