Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by MourningAngel, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

Recently i returned from a psychosomatic clinic where I stayed for 2 months. I was given my official diagnosis on my last day. During my time there I was 100% sure that I wanted to continue studying biology. Now I'm not so sure. This is what I was diagnosed with:

F33.1 recurrent depressive disorder, current episode moderate
    F60.31 Emotionally unstable personality disorder: Borderline type
    F40.1 Social phobia
    F43.2 Adjustment disorder

I'm thoroughly discouraged. Can I go on studying? I'm afraid I won't manage. I always wanted to study biology, now I simply don't know anymore :(
    Anyone here who has/had similar problems? I'd be grateful so have someone to talk to.
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I wouldn't let a diagnosis define you as a person. It's true that when you are battling a mental illness, studying can be harder and stressful but it is not impossible. I got through university and trained to be a nurse and I have Bipolar Disorder and Generalised Anxiety Disorder. It was tough but I got through it and I am better off for it :)
  3. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

Thank you Butterfly :)
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and battle with mental illness. It can seem draining but you can do it :pinkheart:
  5. What Ever

What Ever Active Member

I think the diagnosis that we give ourself is the most important. I think that if I went to a million different places to get a diagnosis then I would get a million different diagnosis's that carry whole different sets of baggage along with them. I personally wouldn't let someone else's definition of what I can and can't do hold me back from doing something. I still feel that I have certain challenges that I deal with, personally, but I work with them on my terms. I would say do what feels right for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.