diagnosis

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by starryeyed, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starryeyed

starryeyed Well-Known Member

I dont think the doctors know whats wrong with me.written on allmy forms is schizo but I have no symptoms and been able to work.i have yet to meet someone eith schzio.eho can work.
    I think I have cyclethymia.i have all the symptoms.if anyone knows anything about this ,some info would be appreciated.

2. ExtreemWays

ExtreemWays Active Member

Hi Starryeyed,

There is a big difference between Cyclothymia and Schizophrenia. It is unlikely that your doctor has misdiagnosed you.

Cyclothymia is a (mild) form of bipolar disorder. Someone who has Cyclothymia will go through periods where you have lot's of energy but you also go through periods where you feel down and depressed. These people usually can hold a job - for the most part.

Schizophrenia is a severe mental disorder. Hallucinations and complete disassociation from reality are common. These people usually can't hold a job and will often not be functional in society.

If you have ever hallucinated (auditory/visual/etc.) as a result of your illness, you don't have Cyclothymia.

Have you ever had to go to the hospital because of your illness?

What symptoms do you have now, or have had in the past, that make you think you have Cyclothymia?

-ew

3. starryeyed

I was in hospital five years ago.i have no symptoms of schzio.i have never hallucinated.i habe worked for years.that is my point.i dont have schizo.i get very depressed and I get high.everything that is associated with the mild strain.

4. starryeyed

From my post I said I was able to work.ima high acheiver in a very stressful job plys im a publushed writer.i dnt understand why you had to tell me I prob had schzio when I said I was able to work and live a normal life.im off meds now and very down and up.

5. ExtreemWays

Hi Starryeyed,

I didn't mean to come across in a bad way...sorry.

Yes, so that's your point right? You have no Schizophrenic symptoms, you've been working for years, and no meds. Seems like your battling Cyclothymia symptoms not schizophrenic symptoms.

I have to admit, that if you have never hallucinated then something doesn't match. I have never heard of a schizophrenic episode that didn't include hallucinations.

What were you hospitalized for?

-ew

6. starryeyed

I had a psychotic episode.yes I heard voices but that was long time ago.i didnt realise voices were hallucinations.

7. starryeyed

Excuse my typing btw

8. ExtreemWays

Hi Starryeyed,

Ya, I think that any of someone's five senses can be hallucinated. I have visual and auditory hallucinations.

It's kind of weird in that way. All someone has to do is have just one psychotic episode to qualify for a diagnosis like schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (type 1). The symptom set would direct your doctor to a specific disorder.

I have a friend. Far as anyone could tell, she was just a normal everyday person. Quite a few years back she had a severe schizophrenic episode. Her father dropped her off at a mental hospital where she stayed for months getting medicated. It was years before she could resume normal activities again.

She had never had one before and she has not had one since but she is still considered to be a schizophrenic. Just one time does it.

This is not to say that you don't have Cyclothymia. Maybe you do. Since your experiencing "ups" and "downs", you should run that by your doctor.

Oh ya, bad doctors think they don't make mistakes. If you think there is more to your condition and your present doctor says there isn't, try finding another doctor and just get re-evaluated. Both doctors should be saying the same thing (for the most part).

-ew

9. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I hear voices if I'm not medicated right and I have been working/studying since it started. First 4-5 months I worked 50%+ and after that I've been studying full time and working part time the last 5 years. I don't know if my diagnosis is schizophrenia, have never bothered asking, but I have been on anti-psychotics for some years. I can still go to work while the voices are screaming in my head.

10. starryeyed

Thats fantastic to the poster above.youre the first person besides myself who managez to work.im physically very ill atm so im out of work.but I was in psych ward for four months and after I came out I was back at work nine months later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.