Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Heavenly Star, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Heavenly Star

Heavenly Star Well-Known Member

I have been recommended DBT and am due to start it soon. I was wondering if anybody here has tried it and was it any help? it's my last chance really as everything else has failed.
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm doing it now.

I think it's one of those things where you potentially get as much out as you put in to a certain extent at any rate.

What is it you want to know?
  3. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

ah I figured there might be a post on this already - I just posted the same question myself!
  4. Zola

Zola Antiquities Friend

"Dialectical behavior therapy." Hmmm. Sounds a little Hegalian or even Marxist. (It's that "dialectle" that does it.) Do you really think that might help you? Have you ever read, through and through, any books by either Hegel or Marx? Here in the modern world, there are still people influenced by those characters. Is it really something you want to subject yourself to? Kind of on a line with Scientology, you know.

5. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Ok I give up. What IS Dialectical Behaviour Therapy?

I thought I knew of just about every type of therapy known to man, but I have never heard of this one.

Is it a relative of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?

6. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of this one, either...but guess what, there's a wikipedia entry, lol...

Wikipedia entry - Dialetical Behavior Therapy

An article called Dialetical Behavior Therapy in a nutshell.

I don't get it....Buddhism + Hegelian metaphysics + CBT + "unconditional acceptance" of whatever your therapist asks you to do. But I guess if it works, who am I to piss on someone else's parade?
  7. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Wow that's mindblowing - in principle it sounds like a really effective therapy approach.

(Have to ask though how big are the nuts that guy eats?)

Struck me as curious that the fact of 'unconditional acceptance' seems to be something 'new'. I'd have thought that that would be the sole basis for ANY effective therapy. And pity the poor DBT therapist - that's one hell of a combination of skills and responsibilities required. Even more than what you'd wish for from a perfect parent!

But I like the dialectical bit - because it makes sense that you go to see a therapist to get help to make you feel better, and being required to 'change' somehow makes you to blame for your problems. This dialectical approach sounds as if it can effect change without being threatening to the client.

Scum, you say you are doing it right now - any thoughts on how it's going and whether it fits with what the articles Worlds Edge posted?

8. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I did this! I really liked it, but at the same time I don't feel that I got out as much of it as I could due to just me not being quite ready.

Personally, I think it provides you with a "tool box" of ways to deal with difficult experiences and emotions. We talked a lot about rational thoughts vs. emotions, and the benefits of both of them, and how to manage and work both of them. I think the main lesson is that you can detach yourself from your emotions and look at them objectively. Emotions are important, but they don't control you, they're just a useful tool to understanding experiences.

We also talked a lot about mindfulness and being in the moment. Neutrally & nonjudgmentally acknowledging thoughts and emotions, but letting them pass, as you are in control - not them.

I hope you decided to give this a try.. I liked it a lot. I wish I saved my worksheets :/