diazepam

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by icequeen, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

has any one here used diazepam when trying to cut down on alcohol..my mental man suggested it the other day and i refused cos i didnt want more drugs, but a friend gave me a hard time today in a kind way over my drinking...everything is upside down, i drink cos of what is going on...but then get told that my drinking is out of control and with recent crap rearing its head it could get worse. i wonder if maybe trying to reduce alc will help...but will that kick off more emotional issues... has any used diaz for this and how did you get on..

2. TooShyToScream

TooShyToScream Well-Known Member

You drink alcohol because you want to feel decent right? Diazepam will definitely help you do that too. But you can't take the 2 together cause it could have bad side effects. But if you take the diazepam alone, it could help.

3. icequeen

the idea is i give up the alc and take diazepam..but surely this is addictive too...ihate meds but i know i cant keep drinking like i am..its either alc or diaz..just wondered how the diaz would affect me...

4. TooShyToScream

Well, I take lorazepam, which is in the same class of drugs. And I'm telling you, you should give it a try. Alcohol is a lot worse...it makes you nauseous, and if you're like me, you wake up in a pile of your own vomit when you drink. Benzodiazepines don't do that to you. They make you feel a little numb, tired...generally pretty good. It's worth giving up one for the other.

5. icequeen

thats the weird thing...friend told me today that he cant understand how i can drink what i drink and get up "fresh as daisy" and do an 8km hike and still look fresh as daisy...i got a real lecture today. i did not drink for years so how do you get from that to 3+ bottles of wine a day and no ill effects...and not even realise you drinking that much. on the one hand i dont care..on the other i dont want my friends to hurt and i dont want to lie to them. it doesnt help when you trying to deal with a zillion things at once and you think drinking is the answer to them all. i discussed with mental health guy and thats where diaz came in...i just dont know...too much phugging my brain i guess..:pokeball:

6. TooShyToScream

Well, it came up because if you're doing a zillion things at once, that sounds like anxiety. And diazepam relieves anxiety. If it can help instead of drinking alcohol, you should try it. I understand that you're saying you don't really have any bad symptoms, but you're going to eventually ruin your liver drinking that much. Trying the medicine can't hurt. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to drinking if you really want to...right?

7. icequeen

thanks TooShy.... my doc has pointed out the health hazards of my drinking and wanted to do another liver function test and i told him not to waste time cos i wouldnt go for it as i didnt care what the result was. i dont care for me but it was for my friends that are concerned i guess and trying to be kind in the way they tell me i am drinking way too much. i dont want to hurt them, so either i lie and hide my drinking or again do what others want me to do and try and quit, just not sure i want to swop one addiction for another. seeing doc weds rountinely so maybe discuss with him then. will bear in mind what you have all said. thanks :grouphug:

8. TooShyToScream

If you take the medicine as prescribed, you're not going to get addicted. Now pain pills are very addicting...When I had a kidney stone, they gave me percocets about a year ago now, and I STILL miss them and think about them all the time because of how good they felt. Anxiety medication, even though it's a controlled substance, really isn't that addicting in my opinion. I've taken like 3-4 times the recommended dosage of my Lorazepam before, and felt pretty normal still off of a supposedly incredibly high dose of it. So, if even taking a bunch of them doesn't get you high, taking the recommended dose doesn't stand a chance to get you addicted. Like I said, it's just a feeling of being a little bit numb and tired. But it's not a very intense numbness like you get with pain pills...more like a sense of calmness. That's about it. I hope you do decide to try them...it's not going to be as damaging as alcohol in the long run.

9. icequeen

thanks again TS..mental health guy said he would ring me today to see how i was getting on...and even tho i am not surprised...ofc he hasnt...considering i was on the brink when i last spoke to on thurs, my friends are disgusted and i feed off that..i dont care as i know if he says "can i call ....i know its not going to happen so i dont feel able to reach out to him. i have issues with peeps saying stuff like that and not following thru as it has happened so much in my life and partic with family in deathly circumstances and it just adds to my feeling of worthlessness...its a viscious circle...i know the alc is killing me..on one hand i dont care, but then my friends get upset and i dont want to do that to them. will discuss with doc on weds and see if he can offer anything other than benzo's as i am too tired and weak to do it alone. was just curious if anyone has had probs taking diaz and getting off again.

:sf:

10. liquid

liquid Well-Known Member

IM on diazepam right now. actually its **goes to find pack** chlordiazepoxide, which is diazepam formulated specificaly for alcohol withdrawal, they use it in prisons and such. im on 100mg a day. i take 5x5mg pills, 4 times a day then after 4 days drop to 4 pills a day... then 3 and so on.

they work wonders! i highly recomend them, and ive been a heavy drinker for 10-12 years.

side effects-
    -drowsyness as you would expect, but i quickly got used to that and its not an issue any more
    - total loss of time.... i dont know what day it is or i couldnt even take a guess at what time it was. and i looese the ocassional hour with no recolection of what id just done

But...... that could be the withdrawal symtoms from booze so i dont know...

all i know is they are better than drinking, i was drinking so much it could have been viewed as slow mo suicide....

GOOD LUCK :) shoot me a message if you want to talk

11. icequeen

mentioned diaz to Dr today and it would be his first line of attack (i hate meds and he knows it so whether that is it i dont know)...and so has referred me to alc team. i am not going to push him on it, as i only discussed it cos i promised a friend...and i cant lie if asked a direct question. will keep it in mind tho if i suddenly decide i really want to stop.

thanks for your input. :thanks:

12. liquid

liquid Well-Known Member

hey icequeen... i have found that buyinng the non-alcoholic beers help a LOT. my only gripe with them is they caost the same as the ones with the goodies in it.... give it a shot thuough.
    No sure what country you from but theres a beer called "cobra" they do a "cobra zero", and it taste just like normal beer, it helps me a lot when im i a situation where a beer would be perfect.....

13. liquid

liquid Well-Known Member

sorry spelling mistakes a plenty... im kinda smashed on diaz

14. icequeen

thanks liquid...i did buy in some v low alc stuff...and i guess it will take a bit of getting used to you...i start the day with good intentions and then something happens (doing the exposure is biggest prob atm) and thats it...back on the stuff with a kick...i have been having "liver" pain last few weeks...but i if i tell doc this, this will mean more tests etc...and i am not going through that...but will try and at least cut down or substitute low alc stuff. i am offshore UK and i have heard of cobra..so might give that a try. lack of motivation and will power is a killer tho! but well done you! :cheekkiss

15. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

Benzodiazapines are known to help with alcohol withdrawal. My dad (who is a bastard, but also a doctor) gives it to patience in alcohol withdrawal and it supposedly works really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.