Did institutionalization help anyone?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mama_Pills, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

I've relapsed into my depression really badly recently, and I'm just thinking about my best options.

I'm on three different kinds of medications and in therapy and yet I still have been feeling suicidal, depressed, anxious, guilty ...

I'm so frustrated.
  2. letmedisappear

letmedisappear Well-Known Member

I mean, it helped me for a week or two, but I ended up falling back in the vicious cycle... My therapist just keeps saying that it will take time. Things like this don't happen overnight, even if they seem to in the hospital, they can return. But stay strong, and you can fight it out.
  3. MrsStavrogin

MrsStavrogin Active Member

No. It made things worse. But I wasn't there voluntarily. Much depends on the Institution, I guess. I live in a shitty country with a shitty healthcare system, maybe it would be different in your country.
  4. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I've never been sectioned (involuntarily committed) but I was 'voluntarily' on a psych ward for three days, which is what I presume you mean by institionalisation. IMO, it helps as in keeps you safe for a period of time, but a lot of people have a misconception that it will solve all their problems or something. You'll have access to a few services whilst inside, but after they discharge you, you're pretty much back to square one. The "follow-up" treatment is usually a few short sessions with a psychiatrist and sometimes they may refer you onto other professionals, but not always.

Not in my case since I was lucky to be in a nice ward, but some psych wards/hospitals aren't that nice either. There are often other severely mentally ill patients or people dosed up to their eyeballs on various meds, they're not really places you can go and make friends, the staff in them can be control freaks as well. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (w/ Jack Nicholson) is a fairly accurate despiction of what other patients on those wards can be like and what some of the staff can be like as well, even though the film is set in the 1960s, so obviously there's more rights around and such.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.