Did it really happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid I have memories of my older cousin coming down on vacation with his family and him molesting me. Strangely, only recently these memories have come to light as I've been having therapy for my depression but I have not brought it up with my therapist as everything just seems like it was a dream. I've always had vivid dreams (probably because of smoking pot) abd I don't want to make such a big claim if it is untrue. The thing that makes me feel like it is real though, is that whenever I think about him or someone mentions him, I get uncontrollable feelings of fear, anger and anxiety. I don't know if I want to or am strong enough to investigate the issue further either. Has anyone ever experienced these dream like memories?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
It is good to bring this up next time with your therapist okay talk to him or her about what you are feeling so you can get help you need hugs

S8pxph

I am part of a SA group, and it is not uncommon for new memories to surface after years of repression. To know if they are true, think about a couple things: Do you see them when you're awake, or only when you're dreaming?
In the memories, is your cousin getting older? (you said this happened over a span of a few years, so this may be applicable)
Are they wearing the same clothes in all your memories?
Unfortunately, it can be difficult to discern whether or not a dream is actually a newly surfaced memory. I've had several dreams of my father and cousin raping me, but neither of them would ever do that, so I know they aren't real. I think I started getting them because of my own rape a few years ago. My therapist said it can happen that you start dreaming about the men in your life doing that to you. You should bring it up with your therapist. Explain to them what's going on, and talk it through. They would be able to help more, and if you're having these dreams and they're not true, it may be something you and your therapist should be talking about anyway.

Hope this helps, and I sincerely hope these are not memories but only nightmares <3

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
I'd say it happened and you may find the memories escalating.
Definetly talk about this with your therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00