did you have an internet relationship?

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've had close relationships with people that started on the internet. Friendships that have lasted for years but that have still not resulted in actually meeting that person. Skype is a great tool to talk to people all over the world and not feel so lonely even if you are at home!

I might actually go and meet this girl who lives in Chicago, and live there if I enjoy myself. So yeah, great things can start from internet relationships! It's a new and exciting world! We are lucky to be alive at this time!

asking_advice

I've had close relationships with people that started on the internet. Friendships that have lasted for years but that have still not resulted in actually meeting that person. Skype is a great tool to talk to people all over the world and not feel so lonely even if you are at home!

I might actually go and meet this girl who lives in Chicago, and live there if I enjoy myself. So yeah, great things can start from internet relationships! It's a new and exciting world! We are lucky to be alive at this time!
i had relationships but no one lasts. :(

Avarice

I've been in a few; the longest lasted around two years. We met up a total of four times, sometimes just for a weekend and sometimes for up to two weeks.

They aren't too hard to maintain provided both parties are dedicated enough to the relationship and stay faithful.

Mr. E

Not romantically, but I have befriended people online that I've been friends with for around 8 years now, if that counts

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
Totally agree! I don't think I've ever actually had an Internet relationship, but I've had close friendships and one long-distance relationship that started on the Internet.

Illusion

Internet Relationships are all I've ever had other than Phone Relationships from those I met on the Internet. The longest lasted 3 months I think. Most would only last a week or 2.
So I've pretty much never had an actual relationship where you see the person & bond with them. Friendship however is a bit different. I've had online friendships for about 2 to 3 years. They're starting to slip away though since we're all getting caught up in our lives to where we can't get online or text as much anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The relationship to my (ex) boyfriend lasts 3years with meetings at every vacations i had. We are still in contact sometimes.
Another good friend of mine i also get in contact though the internet.
We know each other since seven years and only met once but this year I'm going to visit him!
But I also have had contacts which simply sliped away.

yous

It's hard unless 2 people are willing to sacrifice their money and time to see each other in person. Otherwise a virtual world is like talking to your computer or "somebody's voice" on the phone. Though I have to admit, friends who have lived near me are not so good at keeping up a relationship either. I mean I could have seen them at any point in time, but we never made any effort to. So I guess it depends on the 2 people. Just long distance is more difficult because it make the 2 people work harder to get together with the thought that they can't always versus those who do live close together and you have a more free choice of whether or not to.

i met my psycho ex through some gothic site about two years ago and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.i dated a guy lat year on some game but that fell to pieces after a few weeks ever since then i have been completely alone.

lord.nigel

seems like there have been some very mixed experiences on here :( and im sorry for the ones that didnt work out.

i used to go into chat a lot and ive seen 3-4 relationships in the short time ive been on there and one was a short dating thing i had. while 3 of them failed, i think it was due to distance, unrealisitc expectations and simply not knowing the person well enough.

the one that has survived has been one where they were friends for 3 or so years beforehand and seem to know eachother quite well.

they say its probably wise not to date on a site like this...given so many people have issues that leads to a certain level of unpredictability. although, im tempted to believe it also means theres a greater level of understanding.

truth is, distance relationships can work and i hope they work wonderfully for all you :) but even if they dont, theres a lot of wonderfully supportive people out in the real world too, if you sift through the bad ones...

so yes i wish you all the best :)

houseofcards

I had one LDR that developed from World of Warcraft that lasted for 3 years. LOTS of skyping and plane tickets were involved. It would have worked if I didn't have a million problems, and we're still friends even though we broke up. (I never thought I'd be saying this.)

I had another few that were short, like 5 months, 2 weeks, 10 days, 2 days, etc.

It's kind of my only resort since I'm not good with meeting people face-to-face and kicking off a relationship that way. I need to get to know them online first with a safety net and THEN meet if I feel like things are getting good :\

Well I just want to say I met my partner over the internet (from SF actually) We have been together a year tomorrow. My partner lives in NY and I live in the UK. We have met up a number of times, hes been here and ive been to NY. We are getting married by the end of this year and we are also expecting a baby. Im not going to say long distance relationships are easy as it's hard as hell but if you love the person enough you make it possible. It's only impossible if you let it be.

xRx

justmeonlyme

Long Time SFer
Staff Alumni
yes i have i met my 1st and only boyfriend online we where together 7months we still talk nearly 3 months after the break up i think the hardest thing with it is the letting go i still feel just as strongly about him as when we where together i think when an Internet relationship ends its very hard to get any sort of closure well that's how its felt for me

yous

For all of you those who managed a long distance and (met online) type of relationships....how did you keep up with each other daily. I understand some of you visited each other (plane tickets), but on a regular basis, did one of you keep more in touch with the other?

Didn't you ever feel that if the person hasn't called or signed on chat /emailed in a while...suspicious of what they may or may not be telling you? How did you manage those situations on a daily/weekly basis? Was it a Lot of phone calls? Did both parties keep this up, or did one of you feel you were doing most of the work to keep the relationship going?

i really wouldn't advise anyone to start an online romance because you never really know the person you're talking to even if you have been talking for weeks months or years. but if you do decide to start a relationship be really careful because you can get hurt rather easily and badly

SomeGirl

Most online buddies come and go but I've got a couple who're always there. I don't really confide in them with my problems, though. I'd rather they think I'm "normal." And...online dating is hard because it's much easier to lie on the internet. Too many trust issues and suspicians. I've kinda fallen for a guy I met online, but he's a bit of a bully and not very trustworthy unfortunately. Plus he lives so far away. :( I'm quite possessive too, but it's impossible to keep tabs on someone on the internet...I guess they can go out and get the real deal and you'd never even know. :/

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00