Did your boss ever made fun of you ?

N lO b IO D Y

Ai gonplei ste odon
Every monday morning at work we have some sort of meeting where some workers, all the apprentices and our boss come around to discuss if something special happened last week or is gonna happen this week.
In the meeting my boss basically made fun of me because I overslept that day and all the others laughed about it.
After the meeting my boss came to see me and asked if everything was ok and why I reacted so strange (to his joke).
I answered with ,,how should I have reacted"?
He avoided the question and left.
In the afternoon at break time the workers asked me why I looked so strange to my boss, and i gave them the same response. They responded with it was just a joke. I said that I didn't find that joke very funny and they stopped the conversation.

Anyways it was unexpected because normally only the workers make fun of me, but never my boss.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
I think that teasing / banter is absolutely fine if everyone is happy and comfortable. I am not sure I’ve ever had a boss that hasn’t made fun of me and I definitely prefer that relaxed teasing relationship. That said, it only works if you can “answer back” to your boss or give as good as you get without fear and it doesn’t work at all if you’re not the kind of person that responds well to teasing.

I “make fun of” one of my staff frequently because it is how she relaxes and engages. My other staff wouldn’t do well with that and because I know my staff I know that *this* person finds it awkward and uncomfortable when I praise them and would prefer I didn’t while *this* person needs to hear frequently that they did a good job. Staff member A would find it funny and relaxing to be teased about oversleeping (because she would feel like the fact I was laughing about it meant nobody was mad and she wasn’t in trouble) while staff member B would be embarrassed and feel bad. You have to know your people.

I am sorry your boss made you feel uncomfortable. Sometimes jokes that are intended to relax people or show there is no bad feeling or problem around something backfire.

Hi nobody,
Seems you weren't in the mood for jokes or your boss hit a sensitive nerve. Try not to hold it against him, sometimes people lack empathy and/or cannot read the situation. Once when i was in group tutoring, my tutor (who i loved and looked up to) said to me "why are you always so sad." I was upset that day, but i think that comment was totally uncalled for and was very unprofessional, especially since i was just a child. People are stupid.. what can we do *dunnoexcept try not to let it affect us too much..

Take care my friend *hug

N lO b IO D Y

Ai gonplei ste odon
I think that teasing / banter is absolutely fine if everyone is happy and comfortable. I am not sure I’ve ever had a boss that hasn’t made fun of me and I definitely prefer that relaxed teasing relationship. That said, it only works if you can “answer back” to your boss or give as good as you get without fear and it doesn’t work at all if you’re not the kind of person that responds well to teasing.

I “make fun of” one of my staff frequently because it is how she relaxes and engages. My other staff wouldn’t do well with that and because I know my staff I know that *this* person finds it awkward and uncomfortable when I praise them and would prefer I didn’t while *this* person needs to hear frequently that they did a good job. Staff member A would find it funny and relaxing to be teased about oversleeping (because she would feel like the fact I was laughing about it meant nobody was mad and she wasn’t in trouble) while staff member B would be embarrassed and feel bad. You have to know your people.

I am sorry your boss made you feel uncomfortable. Sometimes jokes that are intended to relax people or show there is no bad feeling or problem around something backfire.
Maybe they think that I'm staff member A for all the jokes they make.

N lO b IO D Y

Ai gonplei ste odon
Hi nobody,
Seems you weren't in the mood for jokes or your boss hit a sensitive nerve. Try not to hold it against him, sometimes people lack empathy and/or cannot read the situation. Once when i was in group tutoring, my tutor (who i loved and looked up to) said to me "why are you always so sad." I was upset that day, but i think that comment was totally uncalled for and was very unprofessional, especially since i was just a child. People are stupid.. what can we do *dunnoexcept try not to let it affect us too much..

Take care my friend *hug
When they make jokes about me i usually do a fake smile or laugh, but that day I was sick of doing it over and over again. I try to not let it affect me to much but I can't always do it.

Thank you, and take care of yourself too *hug

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I'm one who prefers to be able to joke around at work. I'd rather that than for the place to be a morgue. If I'm the butt of those jokes then that's fine but I get that everyone isn't that way. People are trying to lighten up a day and don't realize you're taking something so sensitively unless you tell them so. How else will they know? Then they can leave you out of that joking, you know?

N lO b IO D Y

Ai gonplei ste odon
I'm one who prefers to be able to joke around at work. I'd rather that than for the place to be a morgue. If I'm the butt of those jokes then that's fine but I get that everyone isn't that way. People are trying to lighten up a day and don't realize you're taking something so sensitively unless you tell them so. How else will they know? Then they can leave you out of that joking, you know?
Well if I say to them that they should leave me out of that joking, my relation/communication with them is gonna turn hostile and that would affect my work there. Guess i have no choice than just let it be how it is.*dunno

BarryW

SF Supporter
If you feel you can explain yourself well and you have a decent relationship with your boss I encourage you to try a 1 on 1 convo with your boss either ASAP or next time something like this happens. Just privately calmly tell them why it bothers you in a non-blaming way for instance, you could say:

I feel it's very important to be at work on time. I was beating myself up badly that day for being late so I was not in my best mood. When you made the joke, I just couldn't handle it. I understand you didn't mean anything by it.. but this is a touchy area for me. If you could refrain from making jokes about my work hours in the future I would definitely appreciate it. Thank you.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I'm not sure that by just telling them that it's not your thing that creates hostility *confused

N lO b IO D Y

Ai gonplei ste odon
I'm not sure that by just telling them that it's not your thing that creates hostility *confused
Every time they do a joke and I don't smile or laugh at it, I can see the disappointment/hate in their faces. And then until the end of the day they are hostile and its better for me not to start any conversations or useless questions.

N lO b IO D Y

Ai gonplei ste odon
If you feel you can explain yourself well and you have a decent relationship with your boss I encourage you to try a 1 on 1 convo with your boss either ASAP or next time something like this happens. Just privately calmly tell them why it bothers you in a non-blaming way for instance, you could say:

I feel it's very important to be at work on time. I was beating myself up badly that day for being late so I was not in my best mood. When you made the joke, I just couldn't handle it. I understand you didn't mean anything by it.. but this is a touchy area for me. If you could refrain from making jokes about my work hours in the future I would definitely appreciate it. Thank you.

Thank you , I might try that next time.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00