Diet Pills - problem?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nicolaj1992, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

I have just been discharged from a psychiatric hospital, and taken off my section, where I was being treated for depression and a personality disorder. I have been an inpatient in hospital for about 20 weeks.

When I was in hospital I put on a stone and a half (previously my bmi was 17.3, although I was not diagnosed with an eating disorder). My bmi is now in the healthy range but I hate it and am desperate to lose weight as quickly as possible.

I am now taking nineteen diet pills a day, three different brands, and have already lost almost half a stone in less than a week. I am unable to exercise due to injuries which I have so I am not over-exercising.

I am concerned that I am developing a problem with my eating but am not sure if I am so thought i'd post this message on here to see what others thought as I really don't know what to do.

Nicola x
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think you know you have a problem, and you may well have had a problem previously.

I think you need to be honest with the team you are working with and tell them what's going on because what you are doing is incredibly dangerous.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

diet pills are not safe they can cause heart damage and other organ damage Not smart at all playing with this type of medication You need to talk with yur doctor and get on something that is safe if you have concerns don't fool with your health this way okay speak with yur doctor
  4. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

How can I mention it to the team though?

Also, I really don't want to be readmitted to hospital, I've spent too much time in hospital and out of control already.

Thanks for giving me advice though x
  5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Do you have anyone working with you in the community? I would guess so after being in hospital for so long. If you do, just be honest, maybe even show them the first post, and just tell them what's going on.

I would doubt they would readmit you for that, although it's not impossible, however, you are going to be at risk of electrolite problems and such which can make you severely ill and may require a medical hospital admission.

There are lots of avneues of help available for eating disorders and problems though. Maybe check out the B-EAT site, that might be helpful.
  6. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

Yeah I have two psychologists, a psychiatrists and a clinical nurse who I see on a weekly basis.

I've only been taking the diet pills for around three days (as this is how long it's been since I've been discharged) would damage have been caused already?

I really don't know what to do as I felt okay when I was discharged, and was only discharged based on me saying I felt okay, but then as soon as I was back at home I don't feel so okay anymore.

I'll check out that website too, thanks x
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Can you tell one of them?

If you can, stop taking those tablets, or at the very least cut down to one type and the recommended daily amount. The fact you're not going about losing weight in a healthy way implies that the weight is not actually the issue; there is some other root cause.

Its incredibly scary and unsettling to come out of hospital after so long there. I wonder if maybe you could go out patient there for a while? Or somewhere similar? Maybe to act as less intensive support than IP, but more intensive than what you are getting now?

When you say you don't feel so okay, in what respect? Do you want to talk more about that?
  8. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

I don't know how I would bring the subject up in conversation, also I've only been taking the tablets for a short time and they might not see why I'm telling them. I wouldn't even know why I'm telling them infact.

I can't just stop taking them as I need to get back down to the weight I was before, as quick as I can, then I'll stop.

I couldn't be an outpatient there as the hospital is thirty miles from my home so it'd be too difficult.

When I was being discharged I had all these plans that I was going to do - volunteering, courses, meeting friends, but now I'm out I haven't got the energy to do any of them, plus I'm wondering what the purpose of life is again.

9. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think they woudl understand why you were telling them you were overdosing on diet pills.

Diet pills won't help you do that, to be honest. The way to lose weight is to eat healthy balanced meals and your body will find the healthiest weight for itself.

It sounds like maybe the change from IP to home has not given you as much support as you needed. What do you think might help you now?
  10. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

I've been eating 'healthy' supposedly whilst i've been in hospital and can't stand being at the weight i'm at now.

I don't know what help I need, I've had so many options put to me - staying in hospital, going to a therapeutic community, moving into supported housing - but don't like the sound of any of the options. maybe i'm just a lost cause

11. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

They are offering you support, which means you are not a lost cause. They wouldn't offer you support if they thought you were (trust me on that).

Hospital food is not particularly healthy and also, when you sit in hospital you are not as active as normal, so maybe being a bit more active might be worthwhile (depending on what your injuries are), as well as eating generally healthily.

It sounds like you feel overwhelmed with all the options, which I can understand, especially if you don't know much about the options or what it consists of. Has anyone sat with you and talked to you about the options and what each option entails?
  12. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

The hospital food is healthier than what I'd normally eat at home, before being admitted, and more than I'd eat before too; and I was playing sport everyday and going for a walk at least once a day too (hence my injuries have got worse and I'm now unable to do much).

I've had long conversations about each of the options and visited them and all sorts but still don't think much of any of them. Can't believe I've gone downhill again so quickly I thought the meds they'd put me on had worked.

13. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Sorry I was wrong about the hospital food and routine- where you were was clearly very different from where I was, and hospitals in general.

It is a hard transition and its common to have an unsettled time, so try not to thin everything has gone downhill, this may just be a blip- that said, talk to them and tell them how things are because they do need to know incase this ISN'T a blip.

Maybe if you can think about what you might like, or might benefit from or need more help with, then that might give you an idea for what might be worthwhile trying?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.