Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Joshuwah, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Joshuwah

Joshuwah Well-Known Member

So 220 pounds eh? :dry:

Not for long, so guys got any advice for us ( cause there's two of me Obv.)

Otherwise the plan is Liquids only, Energy drinks allow regardless of calorie content. ^,^

This should be fun, RMR of 2021 :dry:
  2. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I know you're not gonna like this hun, but not eating isn't the way to go.

As you know I'm dieting at the moment as well...lets do it together?

I know you don't like your do something about it the healthy way. Cut down on the junk you eat (including fizzy drinks :tongue: ) and do some more exercise. It's the best way :smile: :hug:
  3. Joshuwah

At the minute (I stand by my decision, I'm thinking after this caffine high ends I'll change my mind..
  4. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

hope so ....
  5. Joshuwah

Guys, question, while I'm watching the food content does it matter if something has a ton of sugar if it has minimal calories? I.e red bull has 45 kcal per 100 ml but 10.7g of sugar to the same :blink:
  6. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

There are two ways to lose weight, consume less calories or burn more calories. Ideally to lose weight you would do both those things.

What you are proposing is going to cause the body to go into starvation mode and the weight will rebound.

For a start, the body needs about 50g of protein a day or it will start metabolising muscle to get the amino acids it needs plus you still need to intake all the vitamins & minerals that are necessary.

You need to cut out sugars, they will be converted into fat and stored in the body when in excess. The body can only store so much carbohydrate as glycogen in the liver & muscles.

Really what you need is not a temporary diet, but a permanent change in lifestyle. It is easy to put on weight and hard to lose it, you only have to overeat by a small number of calories a day and the effect becomes cumulative. Really you shouldn't be eating less than about 1200 calories a day which consists of balanced nutrition from the different food groups.

I'm trying to follow some sort of diet & exercise plan myself at the moment so I can lose bodyfat but I'm not overweight as such. I'm trying to just eat wholesome foods and not loads of sweets and cakes like I normally do.

The body normally burns about 60% carbohydrates/40 % fat. After about 20 minutes of exercise the glycogen stores start to become depleted and the body will metabolise more like 60% fat / 40% carbohydrates. Once the body senses the demand for increased energy and starts burning fat this process will continue even when exercise has been stopped.

So I'm saying go low on the carbs & fats and high on the protein. I really feel an all liquid diet will be very detrimental to your health.

Good luck with losing the weight. Take care.
  7. Joshuwah

So liquids, vitamin tablets and 2 hours of wii sports a day. :smile: Sorted
  8. Dreamer uk

lol No not really, what do these liquids contain?

Sugar is very very bad for weight gain. If you are going to be consuming a lot of sugars then the body only has one thing it can do with them, and that is to convert them into fat which is the last thing you want. If you're not consuming enough calories the first thing your body will do is lower the metabolic rate to conserve energy and then go into starvation mode which will involve breaking down your muscle tissue and storing more reserve fat.

Forget about a liquid only diet, instead concentrate on removing sugars from your diet, eat wholesome foods, exercise daily and count the calories you consume. Try to adapt a 'diet' that you can continue with for the rest of your life not just during a period of weight loss.

Just my 2p.

Best of luck with it.
  9. Joshuwah

Liquid being energy drink and water, that's all I ever drink
  10. Dreamer uk

Well that is not good for you is it?

Your body needs lots of nurtients. Where is your fibre & protein going to come from?

Honestly that is not a good system to follow. I take it these energy drinks are high in sugar content, so any excess will be converted into fat.

All you have to do is stay away from sugar, eat low amounts of carbohydrates, high amounts of protein as it can't be stored in the body and low levels of fat. This will give you a much more stable release of glucose into the blood stream and will force your body to metabolise fat.

You should eat wholesome meals like fish, chicken, eggs, vegetables, nuts, fruits & grains, low fat milk, etc, do some exercise everyday and count the calories you consume.

This is the sensible way to lose weight and is sustainable, what you are proposing is just basically starving yourself of nutrients and the weight will rebound. You need to stay away from sugar if you want to lose weight.

Some people have had success with the one meal a day diet, where you just basically eat as much as you want during a 4 hour period on the evening and the rest of the time you just have a bit of fruit if you're hungry. This isn't ideal but it is still bound to be much more effective than a liquid only diet which will only sap your energy. Something approaching the atkins diet would probably be a lot more effective for you.

I hope you go about this the right way. Take care.
  11. you can actually use fasting as a way to loose weight.

if youre normal/underweight though its a bad idea.
  12. Joshuwah

220 lbs = overweight..
  13. hence the 'if youre normal/underweight though its a bad idea' comment.
  14. Joshuwah

I'll take that as the first person not to tell me off. ^,^
  15. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

hun, this really isn't a good idea :hug: :sad:
  16. Joshuwah

We'll see how it goes...
  17. fasting is a good idea but before you start id recommend the following whilst on the fast -

limit your exercising. fasting is a time where your body is getting rid of toxins in your body and excess fat, dont overwork your body.
    if you feel dizzy, or light headed, drink plenty of water, and take your vitamins and stuff that you need.
    when coming off the fast, have a few days of fruit juices only, then have another few more days of nothing but 'soft foods' - imagine what a baby eats, mash potatoe, mashed peas, ect, then slowly go back into the process of eating again.
    do not come off the fast quickly with solid foods. this may shock your body and it you will most likely gain most of what you lost back on.
    gently get back into eating - itll steady your metabolic rate and your digestive system and everything.
    also, your stomach would have also shrunk, making you more full after eating a small portion.

if youre going to fast for a long time, consult with your doctor about it as they may have to keep checks on you.
    but all in all, nothing should go wrong.
    i did a month fast when i was 195 pounds.
    i lost 45 pounds during that month.
    kept it off - and no complications.
    its recommended for people with health problems/overweight/obesity.
    if fasting with just water is too hard, try juice fasting.
    (pure juices)

then again, i may just sound like a crazy person because ive 'issues' with eating and may see not eating a good thing. :rolleyes:

but i fasted that month, and my metabolism hasnt decreased, its 'normal'. ive not gained any weight back, depite how badly i can eat in a day. so... but maybe its different for others, no doubt. just telling from my experience.
  18. Dreamer uk

Are you saying don't eat nothing for a month whatsoever?

If so that must take a serious amount of willpower.

If I was going to do that I would eat some protein at least. Your body can't store protein except in tissues of the body, mainly muscle. Your brain can't utilise the energy from fats because of the way the fatty acids enter the glycolysis cycle so you will have to burn protein for fuel. Amino acids are either excreted in urine as urea or used to build the body so eating protein is fine. Rather than eating nothing you could still have some food. Egg whites are pure protein and you can get whey powder to add to skimmed milk. There is about 8g of protein in an egg and 7g in 100ml of milk (I think). You should still be eating some protein. If I was going to go on a strict fasting diet like that I'd at least be drinking loads of skimmed milk and other consuming other sources of protein throughout the day. If you are eat the right foods and the right amounts you'll still lose weight and you don't have to starve yourself.

Good luck with the diet whichever method you use, try to be sensible, maybe get the advice of the doctor if you're going to go on a fast.
  19. I didn't eat for a month.
    I didn't die.
    I've no complications from that month.
    I lost 45 pounds, and kept it off.
    My metabolism is fine.
    My digestive system is fine.
    My stomach is fine.
    My brain is fine.

It's not frigging impossible.
    Just because some people don't eat, and try it as a 'fad diet' or whatever, then as soon as they eat, they gain most, if not all, weight back on, and may suffer from complications from it, doesn't mean that some people will be exactly the same.
    I'm pretty much proof of that.
    Some people don't fast 'right'.
    They don't do the fast right before, during and after.
    Before the fast, you must prepare for it.
    During the fast, you must do certain things.
    After the fast, you must gently go back into eating.
    Many people don't take that into consideration.
    They just think 'oh, I won't eat for 4 weeks and lose weight, then it'll stay off, no harm done'.

You have to plan carefully and do it carefully.
    Of course, fasting for more than a month is potential dangerous, but fasting is a very good thing to do every once in a while so I've heard and read, and also experienced.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  20. Joshuwah

Well I woke up this morning at 4am, aint eaten yet, don't feel hungry..

Life goes on as normal