Different kinds?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by impuissant, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impuissant

impuissant Member

Are there different types of self-harm? I mean, I know about cutting, but is there other kinds? Sometimes when I'm stressed out or anxious, I will pick at the acne on my face until it bleeds. So I was just wondering if whether or not that would count as a kind of minor self-harm.

Thanks.

2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

There's plenty of types: cutting, picking at your skin, burning, frostbite, bruising, the list can go on for as long as you can come up with stuff. If you are picking at the acne on your face in order to cause harm to yourself, then I would say that yes, it is a form of self harm.

TDM

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Self harm can come in many different forms yes

4. Starlightx

Starlightx Member

While cutting is one of the more well-known forms of self-harm, there are other methods of it, yes.

Self-harm is hurting yourself with the intent on feeling a reaction, for example pain or relif; if you pick your acne for one of those reasons, it would be self-harm.

If you're able, I would say to try and find a different way to release your feelings when you're anxious or stressed - a healthier way. Try keeping your hands busy and away from your face; I tend to fiddle around with a pen to keep myself from picking at my skin. I don't know if that would help or not, you might want to give it a try?

Take care of yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.