Difficulties in coping with uncertainty

Wallace

I started a new job a few months back, and unfortunately it looks like it's not going to be a good fit for me. I don't think this position will last much longer. I'm working with a recruiter to find a new place, but because of the timing of this situation, I'm going to have to cancel the big move I was planning to make on September 1st. So I'm out my deposit there.

I just couldn't take on that level of financial responsibility when my job is making my physically ill with anxiety and my future is uncertain. I've been panicky about this all morning. I don't know what to do, and I'm worried for the long-term damage to my career.

I think I'm going to have to get back into therapy again to cope with these feelings that have resurfaced in this new job. It's just very frustrating to lose the opportunity and backslide in my recovery.

mpk

Wallace, I am sorry that you are going through this situation. Mine is similar as my last job lasted less than 2 years when I was told it may not be a good fit yet it was government work which I have done for about 30 + years. I hung on for about a month then just quit. It has now been 2 months and some days since I left. I have been looking for work it yet it is possible I will be viewed as over qualified and my age does not help.
This has caused me to sink back into the depression that I was not over with previously. I am unable to concentrate or sleep very well. I cannot afford therapy as no insurance. Yet for some reason I still get up everyday and try to keep my mind busy. It does not always work yet I still try. I am hoping I can calm the depression down to get another job but not so sure.
Good luck to you.

Wallace

Thank you for replying, mpk. This is a hard position to be in, and people who have to leave jobs where they are unhappy for personal reasons often get maligned when they try to get back into the job market. I've been told many times that the best way to get a job is to have a job; it's profoundly unhelpful to someone who is struggling. The unfairness really hurts. We didn't choose any of these situations, and yet here we are. It certainly adds to my anxiety and depression.

Wallace my husband is in the same position. A physical disability and unbearable stress (partly as the result of trying to manage his workload despite his disability) meant he had to quit his job. He is now under tremendous pressure to find a new job within a few weeks. I wish you the best

Wallace

Thank you, Lady Wolfshead. I think I realize that some of my problems are my own issues running amok when poked in a certain way. Viewing things from this angle helps alleviate some of the associated stress. But the job situation is still uncertain. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00