disability claim got rejected...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aki

I applied for disability benefit or incapacity allowance, whatever you call it, for depression. I just got the letter today saying I don't apply on medical grounds. But the thing is, when I went to apply for jobseeker's allowance they told me I'd need a letter from my doctor saying I was fit to work, because I didn't apply for jobseeker's allowance as I was ill with depression. So now I have to go back and ask my doctor to write a letter saying I'm fit to work, after her filling one out a few weeks ago saying I was unfit to work. So I don't know what to do. And the thought of working makes me almost sick with nerves, I just don't think I can do it, I'm too shy and slow. When I worked before I got fired and made fun of and talked behind my back. :unsure:
ps. I had no idea where to put this, if you want to move it you can.

Brighid Moon

Member & Antiquities Friend
You always get turned down the first time. It's like their way of weeding out those serious and those who are not, or something. Reapply. And if that doesn't work there are attorneys who will work pro-bono to help people get disability. You've come this far! Keep playing their game. It should work out, eventually!

Tavil

I don't know what to say other than I'm sorry. :(
It sucks the things the system puts people through.
I hope you can get it sorted out. :console:

snowraven

Sorry to hear you are having to go through all this. It's a disgrace that they make people jump through so many hoops before you can get anything done. I think Brighid is giving good advice here. You should reaply. They work on the premise that if they make it hard for you then you will just give up. Don't. You are only asking for something that is your right. Hope you can manage to get this all sorted without having too much of a struggle. Best wishes. Simon.

aki

Thanks a lot all of you. Maybe I will reapply...but...it's like I feel I don't deserve it now or something. Thanks again though.

Ive got the same problem i got rejected im trying again though im JSA too they just dont see the point do they i cant work either but forced to try.You cant work dealing with depression i always get fired again for 2 reasons either: dont get to work i sleep during the day a bit hard to work then or 2) im found self harming and asked to leave you cant win.Just try again if not do what my sis in law done take them to court.

Chargette

Please appeal the denied claim. You do deserve to receive it. It's the same way with me. When I get told no I feel like I don't deserve it. It's a hard one to work through but it's worth staying with it till it gets approved.

Ignored

Staff Alumni
If your doctor has signed you as unfit for work then you are unfit for work and you should get incapacity (or whatever they're calling it these days). Go to your Citizen's Advice Bureau and they can tell you how to appeal it. I wouldn't go back to your doctor and asked to be signed on as fit unless you feel you are fit (and they do).

JohnADreams

They're trying to shove everyone off of benefits right now. When you apply again try to get your doctor in on it, not just in saying that you can't work, but that you need to be on benefits too. If you see a therapist, they could help out by writing a letter or maybe by helping you fill out the form, if you're having trouble describing your problems.

My stepdad was rejected 3 times before they accepted him and then they had to pay him back to the first time he applied. It isn't that you don't deserve it, it is that they prefer not to give it out. Only those that are persistent end up qualifying. If your doctor said you can't work, then they must feel it is true. Don't give up. It is worth the hassle if they do finally accept you. Sorry it didn't go through though.

Brighid Moon

Member & Antiquities Friend
As an afterthought and added bonus I discovered that the shitty health care insurance we get on disability is still better than most of the insurance that the average person gets. That, in itself, is a good reason to continue trying.

plates

Do you have a CPN? Could you get in contact with your Welfare Rights Officer from your CMHT? Because they will help you fill out the forms. You have to fill it out at your worst, at your very very worst. I'm not sure if you applied for Incapacity or DLA. But with both, if you're applying for the first time, get a social worker to help you appeal.

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
There are attourneys who deal only with Disability Claims...Once you have been denied go to one of them and they will push it thru.. Make sure you keep copies of everything because as gentlelady said they will pay you all the way back to when you first applied..I would get letters from anyone who is involved with your mental health..Let the attourney handle it they know what they're doing..They will take a portion of your back pay to cover there part in this..

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Hiya, aki. I'm sorry to hear they're putting you through the wringer on your applications. Bureaucratic red tape seems to be a worldwide thing.

I agree with those who have said to apply again. Where I live, some docs/social workers even warn their clients/patients they'll be rejected on the first application. (I've heard that even if you'd been in a train wreck, lost both arms and legs and were suicidal 24/7, your first application is automatically rejected, regardless.) Maybe you're up against similar red tape where you are. I hope you do apply again! For now, keep your chin up despite the snags.

As for work...I don't know your exact circumstances...Have you worked at things you have enjoyed DOING? Is the "environment" right for you? Do you and the people you worked with have similar outlooks on life? Those things can make a difference. For example, I could do a few kinds of work if I liked and valued the product/service an organization provided; but, if I felt the job and organization existed just to be a money-grab, I'd be unhappy there. If it were a heavy sales environment, people around me would quite possibly be way more outgoing than I am, and I'd get down on myself. And it's not that those jobs or organizations are "bad", it's just not what I do best. Ideally, a person and job need to "click" with each other as much as possible. So what do YOU enjoy and do best? What sorts of jobs use those skills and your personal traits in the best way for you? If you haven't done any career exploration lately, maybe your local employment office offers some personality trait and aptitude/interest tests that could give you some help in figuring out your next steps. (Or the local library or even some of the big job posting websites in your area might have things for career exploration.)

In the short term, perhaps temporary jobs or part-time work could help you try different things so you can try out a few different jobs and workplaces. (BTW, some people love to make a career out of temp work because they don't get tied down to doing just one thing for a hundred years :biggrin:)

Things will eventually turn in your favor, so just hang in there.

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00