Disability Discrimination Act

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ~Claire, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience of depression & being covered by DDA?

From googling the only thing I can gather is...if your depression/mental health issues has lasted or is likely to last more than 12 months then you could well be covered.

But I am assuming it's not as clear cut as that? My work want to send me to occupational health to see if I am covered, but I don't really know the benefits of that, I'm sooo confused.

C xx
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

My mother went to occupational health for physical problems. They should know what they are talking about, so I'd suggest you go. You don't have anything to lose by going. :smile:
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm from Canada, but my mom was given illness health benefits for depression.
  4. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

Occupational Health are normally helpful and supportive with whatever problems employees have - their role is to try to support employees in their jobs, to try to make sure they're well enough to work and support them if not. It may well be worth going to see OH and seeing if they can help.. you have nothing to lose and maybe a lot of support to gain :)
  5. Zooty

Zooty Active Member

If your in the UK your best off contacting your local citizens advice bureau they are basically the people you contact if u feel your being discriminated agasint/unfairly dismissed in the work place but are not part of a union. Ive known people who have had mixed results so if you dont get a deffinate answer its worth trying another branch or going in on a diffrent day hoping to deal with someone else.

Hope this helps x
  6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Thanks guys :hug:

My boss spoke to our Occupational Health provider yesterday & they were very nice about it all.

They said I should definitely have a referral made & they will send me an appt out ASAP where we can discuss things like DDA but it's highly likely that I will be covered under DDA.

Kinda takes a big weight off my shoulders for now.

Thanks again guys xx
  7. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

That's good news. Hope it works out. Keep us posted, as this may be useful for others in similar situations.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.