Disability re-evaluation and depression

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Anneinside, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

About 3 weeks ago I got paperwork, on the same day, for re-evaluations from social security and my private disability insurance company. I filled out all the papers and by the end of the week my psychiatrist completed her part and all papers were sent in. Now it's the waiting game. I started being anxious when I got the paperwork and it continued but about 1 1/2 weeks ago I started getting depressed. Teary, lack of concentration, low energy, feeling heavy, can't think straight - couldn't even remember how to turn off an app on my iPod...and there is only one button!, appetite gone, sleep bad with only 4 to 5 hours before I wake up. Lately I have had fleeting passive suicidal thoughts, very distressing. I saw my psychologist on Wednesday and we looked up when I had the last evaluation from my insurance company and it was 3 weeks before my last hospitalization. I don't want to reach that point again but my condition keeps getting worse.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

When do expect to hear back from them hun I know it is hard but try to keep your mind busy ok try to get out be with people I hope you hear soon hun hugs

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

They are horribly slow unfortunately and it is very stressful waiting.... the only good thing I can tell you about the process is that is you are still undercare it is very very unlikely they will change anything. I hope you here back soon, but 4-8 weeks is the typical turn around......

4. Anneinside

I think you are probably right. They give you a deadline for replying but don't hold themselves to a deadline. My case manager is trying to get in touch with a contact at social security to ask about when/if they contact you to give the answer but she hasn't replied yet. My private insurance company gave me 21 days to get the paperwork in but they have taken months to reply in the past. My check from them was five days late... that was really stressful as I tried to figure out how I could make my food last.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I truly hope you get good news back from them. What you're describing is sounds like worsening depression, are you on any medication for it?

6. Anneinside

Yes it is depression and I slip a little more every day. I am on medication for depression, an MAOI call Emsam. It's a patch. I have tried SSRIs, and SSNRIs. I have bipolar so I also take other meds. I don't really want my meds changed or increased because it can interfere with my ECT, but I have ECT scheduled for Wednesday (electroconvulsive therapy) and I hope it will bring me out of it but I am crossing my fingers. The last time I had an eval was the beginning of July 2011. By the end of July I was in the hospital for suicidal intent. I also want to avoid that.

I can only hope they will let me know soon about the outcome but they are notoriously slow. In the short term, even a bad result would be better than not knowing. In the long run it would be devastating financially.

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hope your ECT treatment helps hun try not to worry ok hun I think all willwork out in your favor hugs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.