Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by crookxshanks, Feb 25, 2009.

1. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

is there anyone here that has definatly disagreed with a diagnosis that they have been given by a psychiatrist
  2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Nope hunny, I haven't :hug:.

Can you get a 2nd opinion if you don't agree with them?

hugs, Claire xx
  3. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

yeah try to get a second opinion. and if the doc is just asking checklist questions such as, "do you ever see or hear things that aren't there" or "does it seem like your mood goes from high to low for no reason" or "do you have trouble sleeping" that's not the best...you could be having things put in your head through power of suggestion

if he's/she's not spending a good hour having you describe your psychiatric history, stability, etc from your own point of view. not yes or no questions. then there is really no context to give a diagnosis.

My first psych diagnosed me as the wrong kind of bipolar and it was very messy for years until I found a new doctor. Misdiagnosis is serious business.
  4. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice

i guess i just dont want to make a fuss because i dont want to play into their hands and make things worse than were before when it comes to being diagnosed. i just dont want it in my records as something a lot more severe than it actually is
  5. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

mine says i am depressed, i say i am grieving.
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Medical diagnosis is a very inexact science.

Psychiatric diagnosis is an art.

Absolutely nothing is clear in psychiatry [noteably, all psychiatric disorders are merely extremes of the normal condition], so it's very possible to be misdiagnosed.