Discrimination when shopping

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by erick, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erick

erick Active Member

Had a bad experience today, and it's not the first time.

Were two in front of me, and the cashier was very nice to them and said, "Thank you, have a good weekend" in a pleasant tone. The same to the guy behind me. To me he said "have a good weekend" in not a pleasant voice". The difference in attitude was huge, he was positive and happy with the others, with me he was the opposite.

To protect myself I will never again look at the cashier.

I am aware of my face expression. I'm always nice and polite to people I meet for the first time, but that will end now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I can understand what it feels like, to a degree, but I'd say that it isn't easy to be 100% pleasant to 100% of customers. It might have just been a blip for them that you could have taken the wrong way. At least they still said have a good weekend - rather than saying nothing.

And I'm fairly sure that it may seem to happen more to those who are on the lookout for anything that reinforces their view of themselves - because they notice more differences between them and "normal" people. Who's to say what normal actually is?

I'm sorry you felt that way though. I don't necessarily relate through a shopping experience, but if i'm walking in a hoodie (always down unless weather is averse such as heavy rain/snow) - I get the feeling that people are judging me simply for wearing one. But I carry on and do what I got to do because I don't allow their "judgements" to affect me.
  3. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

To be honest I think that this is more of a case of the cashier being rude to you than actual discrimination.
  4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Put yourself in his shoes. I know it doesn't cost anything to be polite and we expect in in shops, but the guy has to smile at everyone and say pretty much the same thing all day. Please don't take it personally. I'm sure there are many, many polite cashiers out there :)
  5. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I do not wish to be rude or mean... but in what way were you discriminated against?

WHat exactly ws so different about you? (appologies now) Was it your skin colour, was it you race, was you wearing something different to the others (in terms of style etc) was you dirty? Or do you think they could have picked up on your demeanour and reacted to it. A person who looks passive will get a response the same, one who seems to disengage will get a rather lacking "conversation" If you aren't showing enough energy or enthusiasm... then you are going to receive a lacking of energy and enthusiasm.

From what I understand from what you put, there wasn't discrimination, just someones picked up on your body language and acted accordingly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.