Discussing suicide with new therapist or psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Mr Stewart, May 3, 2011.

1. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I will be seeking help soon and am feeling very nervous about it. Just general anxiety about talking to another person about my problems, but also one specific thing:

How careful do I have to be when bringing up the topic of suicide? I'm worried that if I tell the truth -that I've been thinking about it on a daily basis for months and sporadically for the past several years- the therapist will leap across their desk to a grab a bright red telephone that connects direct to a crisis team who will have me committed immediately. Either that, or they'll notify and inform my emergency contact, which wouldn't be super cool with me either. I don't believe I'm a threat to myself at this time so I imagine that reaction would be a bit... extreme.

Anyway, the point is that I'd like to know if I need to gingerly tip-toe around the subject or just unload the entire truth on them straight away? :huh:

2. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

In the UK i think they are reluctant to put people in hosptal unless they really need it and prefer to offer crisis teams as way of outside support. You are there for help i would just be honest, here you will most likely be offered access to the crisis team and if seeing psychiatrist or doctor meds as well.

I think the US like using hospitals more.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  3. SuperMoon

SuperMoon Active Member

I have never fully revealed the frequency of my suicidal thoughts to my most recent therapist but I did tell her how I had it planned down to the day; which is serious for me because I was planning the logistics of it. (Getting rid of my belongings, cleaning everything out so that my family won't be burdened with doing so, deleting email accounts/recurring bills, sending letters to two friends, etc.)
    She then asked me what is stopping me and I told her my reasons which have been strong enough to keep me here, for now.

I do think they will want to know whether or not you have something or someone from keeping you from actually attempting it even if it is just the mere fact that 1) You are seeking help from them, therefore you must have some thread of hope 2) You do think about how it will affect other people and that gives you enough (however little) motivation to stay alive for one more day.

However, if you don't have these coping resources, they might be concerned, as they should be. Not only from the whole, detached liability standpoint but the compassionate and guilt aspect.

This is a little long-winded but I guess I'm trying to say that you can let them know at what level of crisis you're in to a point but I would hope you would only do so because you have some confidence that you are not going to follow through. I also hope that you do have reasons and coping strategies for hanging in there and I think finding a good therapist is a good step!:handinhand:

4. Mr Stewart

Thanks guys.

edit--- I'm in Canada if that makes any difference.

As far as coping strategies go, it's pretty much this: I don't do things on impulse. I promised myself that suicide would never be an exception to that rule. Plans and arrangements would have to be made. This always forces me to stop and think about things for a few days, after which time I'm no longer right on the edge and rational thought eventually kicks back in. Rational thought or procrastination anyway. I don't know. I'm less and less sure about what my motivations from day to day actually are.

5. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I think about suicide pretty much everday(don't actually remember when I didn't...). I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist(?), and I'm pretty sure I said, in reply to one of her questions, that I have suicidal thoughts most of the time. I don't think she was very surprised by that, but I guess it's their job not to freak out lol.

6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I think they need to know how you're feeling (I'm such a hypocrite - my counsellor has no clue how bad things are!), but as long as you explain that you're not an impulsive person and that you don't consider yourself a threat, you should be ok. They might make you promise to tell them if it changes at all, but I wouldn't think they'd be calling anyone just yet.

Mim

7. Mr Stewart

Thanks. :hiya:

I'll make sure to remember to update this with how it went. It'll be a few weeks. I'm in a rare period of motivated activity and clarity of thought at the moment so procrastinating picking up the phone lest it unhinge my good mood.

8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

The scenario you describe would be okay in Ontario (not sure where you are). They only send you to hospital if you are threatening to do something and have the means at hand, and a definite time and place in mind, etc. If you are living with the thoughts daily, but no definite plan they will offer other supports, medication, even outpatient programs in some places. Both my therapist and psychiatrist know when i'm suicidal adn how bad it is. We make all decisions about going to the hospital together.