Disillusionment can be a good thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
Yes, but there are spirit guides and spirit guides.
@Aquarius123 That’s exactly what I thought (word for word) :cool:

I gotta say, I’ve met a couple of very “genuine” spiritual people on SF, as opposed to what I call “charlatans” (and that includes “fluffy bunnies” who just dabble in New Agey ideas). Not that I’m some almighty judge but I am picky and didn’t really expect it here.

It reminds me of a saying I really like — that “religion is for people who are scared of Hell; spirituality is for people who have been there.” I can’t find the author of that, but yeah.. @brightlight :)

@Aquarius123 . . . “religion is for people who are scared of Hell; spirituality is for people who have been there.” I can’t find the author of that, but yeah.. @brightlight :)
How true! Some people who don't really have our best at heart somehow seem to be drawn to us, as if by some kind of magic, when are at our most vulnerable. That's why one finds them on look-out in places like this forum. Again, it's up to us to discern. Come to think of it, discernment is probably one of the most important lessons earthly life has to teach us. :)

gypsylee

SF Supporter
I’ve bookmarked the White Eagle page, @Aquarius123. I had a quick read earlier today when you posted it and didn’t see anything I disagreed with, but will have a more thorough read. Re discernment — I’ve come across some of THE most egotistical people in “spiritual” circles, to the point I was quite put off, but since my brother’s death in 2014 I’ve been drawn back in big-time. I’m still very solitary and doing my own thing.. I love when I come across genuinely spiritual people unexpectedly though :cool:

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I personally don't believe or disbelieve in anything unless I have proof. @Chipetele You don't have to believe or agree with anything in order to keep an open mind and consume new information. :)

To find what is right and the truth for us in any given moment is basically very simple. Whenever we are hearing or reading something, all we have to do is listen to what our inner guidance, the wise one within, has to say about it. :)

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
To find what is right and the truth for us in any given moment is basically very simple. Whenever we are hearing or reading something, all we have to do is listen to what our inner guidance, the wise one within, has to say about it. :)
Agreed. Our inner guidance doesn't always provide a definitive answer right away either. Sometimes it gives us more questions to think about, which is still a step forward.

Sorry @Chipetele for hijacking your thread, couldn't resist.

Inner Voice

We are all fallen angels

On a journey back to light

Caught up in earthly cycles

As we try to get it right

There is no end to changes earned

With each successive life

Become aware of who you are

A beautiful being of light

Change your personal agenda

And you can have the might

Of the universe behind you

We're waiting here to guide you

The answers lie inside

You have to quiet your mind

To listen to a voice

Who is already a part of you

Must balance what you listen to

Your ego or to me

Chipetele

Temporally displaced
I don't really understand the choice to turn a thread that opened with how my mental health got better from being disillusioned with spiritual beliefs into one filled with religious/new age quotes and trying to convert me back into the beliefs that were screwing me up.

Yes, but there are spirit guides and spirit guides. It's up to us to discriminate and choose the ones that are right for us. :)
Spirit guides are spirit guides, an idea that came from mediums. Throughout however many years (somewhere around 200?) of parapsychological experiments, mediums have not been able to demonstrate under fair, properly controlled conditions that they can do what they say they can do. Consequently, I think I can safely dismiss information from them without being close-minded.

I personally don't believe or disbelieve in anything unless I have proof. @Chipetele You don't have to believe or agree with anything in order to keep an open mind and consume new information. :)
That's a good attitude, I share it! :) However, this talk of spirit guides is neither new nor information. It's unsubstantiated claims of the supernatural.

Whatever befalls us in our present existence was brought about by the Karma that was created by our very own thoughts, words and actions of previous lifetimes
So, not only are we punished or rewarded for what thoughts our current brain generates for our consciousness, we are punished or rewarded for the thoughts generated by a different brain at a different time?

You must see the flaw in that! Our inner guidance is wrong all the time, especially for many of us on this site whose brains have often straight up malfunctioned, giving us all sorts of wrong intuitions. That's why we need to check our inner guidance against the real world and scientific method to see if it has any basis in reality.

I'm not dismissing the possibility of there being life after death etc, in fact I'd very much like that given that I love my parents who're starting to maybe just maybe age a tiny bit and I lost a friend last year. We'll see in 2020 when the AWARE II study concludes if there are positive results on the tablet experiment. Until then I'll assume our existence is finite, spirits/God can't hear my thoughts, and time is of the essense until proven otherwise :)

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I don't really understand the choice to turn a thread that opened with how my mental health got better from being disillusioned with spiritual beliefs into one filled with religious/new age quotes and trying to convert me back into the beliefs that were screwing me up.

Spirit guides are spirit guides, an idea that came from mediums. Throughout however many years (somewhere around 200?) of parapsychological experiments, mediums have not been able to demonstrate under fair, properly controlled conditions that they can do what they say they can do. Consequently, I think I can safely dismiss information from them without being close-minded.

That's a good attitude, I share it! :) However, this talk of spirit guides is neither new nor information. It's unsubstantiated claims of the supernatural.

So, not only are we punished or rewarded for what thoughts our current brain generates for our consciousness, we are punished or rewarded for the thoughts generated by a different brain at a different time?

You must see the flaw in that! Our inner guidance is wrong all the time, especially for many of us on this site whose brains have often straight up malfunctioned, giving us all sorts of wrong intuitions. That's why we need to check our inner guidance against the real world and scientific method to see if it has any basis in reality.

I'm not dismissing the possibility of there being life after death etc, in fact I'd very much like that given that I love my parents who're starting to maybe just maybe age a tiny bit and I lost a friend last year. We'll see in 2020 when the AWARE II study concludes if there are positive results on the tablet experiment. Until then I'll assume our existence is finite, spirits/God can't hear my thoughts, and time is of the essense until proven otherwise :)
I do agree with you that your thread got sort of hijacked. And I do apologize if you feel I was part of that in any way. It's also true that Aquarius was saying spirit guides definitely exist, but like I said I don't believe or disbelieve unless someone showed me some proof. Just so you know @Chipetele, I wasn't agreeing with that particular bit, just trying to be tolerant and willing to understand others' points of view.
With that said, I still applaud you for moving away from religious thinking. :)

I agree with you entirely. This is a time for moving away from religious thinking and finding our way into spiritual thinking. After all, we are spirits and souls who are having an earthly experience - religions are part of it. We are not earthly beings who also have a spirit and soul. The world of spirit is our true home where we once came from and to which we return at the end of each lifetime. That's all there is to it. :)

I believe that losing one's faith in everything can be quite a wholesome and freeing experience. It opens our hearts, souls and minds to searching for what to us means truth, which in my view cannot be found in the surface words of any of the religions of our world. Here is a link for some of my reflections of this theme:

Chipetele

Temporally displaced
Just so you know @Chipetele, I wasn't agreeing with that particular bit, just trying to be tolerant and willing to understand others' points of view.
You're free to agree with or disagree with whatever you want :D No need to defend yourself.

I'm perfectly fine with a discussion about all of this(obviously, or else I would have just made a diary entry), it's just the quotes and guruing and "fallen angel" stuff were a bit much and kinda hijacky

With that said, I still applaud you for moving away from religious thinking. :)
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
You're free to agree with or disagree with whatever you want :D No need to defend yourself.

I'm perfectly fine with a discussion about all of this(obviously, or else I would have just made a diary entry), it's just the quotes and guruing and "fallen angel" stuff were a bit much and kinda hijacky

Thanks! :)
I agree. And not defending, just saying to make sure I didn't make you feel any type of way unintentionally.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
That was a poem, you don't have to be a "fallen angel" if you don't want to be its not obligatory.
@brightlight Oh can I just LOL at that for a bit! That’s either me trying to be comedy relief or it’s my Trickster spirit.. Probably both :p If I heard that in your Irish accent I’d laugh even more!

Intuition is deeper than the Ego/“Monkey Mind”. I still remember being in my early 20s with an Atheist background (with a bit of Protestant thrown in) and reading this stuff written by a shaman and something agreed. 20+ years later, and a few episodes of “this is all bs”, I’m still on that “path”.

Also, as I was waffling about (hopelessly) earlier, popular science lags behind cutting-edge science by a long time. Not that I work for NASA or anything, but I take notice of articles about *parallel universes* and things. I can’t understand the science but I get the general gist of things and it’s exciting as someone who believes there’s more than our senses tell us :)

Ye that was tongue in cheek and toned down, and it's a Dublin (not the posh part) accent so there'd be fuckin n a bleedin mixed in for good measure. Shamanism is the oldest path of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00