Dismayed with the world

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by darkrider, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

I don't know about everyone else but the root cause of all the problems going on in my brain is other people. Ok i cant say everyone but in general. Everytime I connect with the media I read or see some shit in one form or another, i feel the world is ruled by morons, governmed by money, sex, violence and personal gratification. Its poisoning me. i just feel so dismayed with it all that theres no point to anything, i cant be assed with hardly anything anymore, i feel so disjointed. Im only 19 and i feel this way, i used to be positive and that is my nature but i am so pessimistic now, even my parents say so. I distance myself from people more and more. It angers me how everything is so cut throat, how there are such disparities between the rich and poor but whats more there are people who have everything who are the scum of the earth and are worshipped. a lot of the time I just wanna get away from everyone and live in solitude to my own devices, thats how it gets me. I spend nearly all of my time alone in my room anyway
  2. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well-Known Member

One of the reasons, I have this sadness about me, is because I too am dismayed at the world. :sad: I completely sympathize and understand your viewpoint. It is, in essence, my own. It appears we may be on the same path in life. I hope we make it to the end together :) .
  3. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

the tube and any other media device can certainly be a downer this is precisely why i don't do any of it and haven't for a long time. i come up with my own things to do. i love to write, and talk to friends and work, that sort of stouf. it does have a downside sometimes of not being able to connect to people quite as much like when one gets to talking about something they saw or something, but honestly i don't find it any big deal and i'm glad i made the choice i did about giving that stouf up. i still will see a movie from time to time. on the whole i find my life much more peaceful without all that crap in it. i hope for the best for you and please take care.
  4. twilightki

twilightki Well-Known Member

"If you want to change the way people respond to you, change the way you respond to other people." - Timothy Leary
  5. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you! Couldn't of said it better myself.
  6. Whitewolf

Whatever happened to the concept of honor?
  7. Blackness

Blackness Guest

totally agree with you. Some people may call us pessimestic and that we just dont enjoy life, but I think we see the world for what it really is.

The whole world evoles around money! we go to school, to educated to get a job to get money! We live in a world of rapists, muderers, robbers, poor people stay poor whilst the rich get richer, capitalism! globalisation!

What kind of people would want to live in such a fucked up world?, where we dont even talk to our neighbours anymore, people are so wrapped up in their working life that no one cares about anyone anymore!
  8. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Seriously, some people have no shame or guilt these days. It's like apathy and indifference to every thing. It seems like the communities where its the norm for people to try and be active in their community and kind to their neighbors is shrinking. Most people think living for their selves and not caring about any thing else is the best way to live and it isn't.
  9. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

i'm content with being lonely..problem is people dont want me to be lonely for wrong reasons.
  10. Cestmoi

Cestmoi Well-Known Member

What utter hypocrisy, we 're all selfish really and if we weren't in the position we are - all lonely - we 'd have no problem whatsoever being in their position.
  11. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Ugh, speak for yourself.
  12. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

not really..i, and am sure many others, prefer solitude.
  13. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

The media thrives on bad news. I've learned to avoid most of the bad news shows. I have a subscription to the local small-town paper (where the big front page news was about someone fighting against a zoning ordinance), and Time magazine, but I avoid Time's occasional oh-no-the-world-is-going-to-end-you-better-read-this-to-find-out-how article.

All in all, I say it's better to live in a fantasy world to the extent that it is practical. That is to say, you can't avoid reality to the point of shirking day to day responsibilities, as that will eventually just give you more to be depressed about. Religion accomplished the fantasy world for me quite well for a time, it gave meaning and purpose to otherwise pointless pursuits. But now that faith is gone, I need to find something more stable.
  14. Whitewolf

The News makes me sick...I think a fantasy world is becoming preferable. I want to live in the middle of nowhere, maybe Alaska. I want to work, and not deal with other people as much as possible. I want to have a small garden and a lot of fantasy books and I want to see the Northern Lights. A life of solitude is my dream to be happy to some extent.

15. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

The world is so stupid I don't know whether to laugh at it or cry from horror.
    A bit of both, I guess.
  16. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world. Atleast you know whats going on at such a young age. Just like you can't feel bad that there are winters, don't let this affect you either. Its a part of the experience. Please don't let what you can't change stop you from changing what you can.
  17. fusion

fusion New Member

I feel the same way.. When people tell me to cheer up because I don't have it as bad as others, that just makes me more depressed. I don't like the thought of pain whether it's being experienced by me or someone else, and I hate knowing that it is rampant throughout the world. I also hate the "that's just the way it is" mentality. I feel like complacency has led the world to where it has become, and can only continue to make it worse. The only way I have been able to cope is to attempt to make a difference, but it's definitely a hard road to travel.
  18. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Seeing this subject, however sad it is, has actually made me feel a bit better. I've long felt as if I'm the only one troubled by the corruption and injustice that is pervasive our reality. Its relieving to know that so many others both notice this and feel troubled by it.

To me, the only thing more tragic than all this misery and evil is the apathy with which it is regarded. We all live like ants in a colony, shuffling past each other and narrowly focused on our own tiny, fractured lives. This lack of emapthy and cocnern for our fellow humans, and indeed humanity as whole, is what I find most perturbing.

I'm an International Relations and Political Science major at school. I plan to help the world one day, perhaps through some humanitarian NGO. I've had to come to terms with the nihilistic perspectives I've flirted with as a result of my having to bear with all this evil. To this day I sometimes question the value and purpose of my aspirations in a world in which they're either disrespected or deemed worthless.

I recall a quote from Hemmingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls," which said "the world is a beautiful place and worth fighting for." In the movie Seven, Morgan Freeman's character adds "I agree with the second part."

This reality, however despicable and distressing, is all we have. We can only make the best and most of it. Its not much to go by, I admit, but its all I get left to cling to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.