dissociation help

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by kmjohnson7, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmjohnson7

kmjohnson7 Member

I get really scared when I dissociate. I don't know what to do a lot of the time when it happens. I get scared that I'm going to hurt myself. I feel like all of a sudden I'll become aware again and have hurt myself badly. Does anyone have any advice on how to get back to reality faster? Please- any advice would be helpful! Thanks :eek:)
  2. Tom88

Tom88 Member

This only happened two me two times, and both times I was walking and it happened when I was thinking about all the bad things happening to me at the time and there was a lot of things going on, I started coming back when I stopped thinking about it as much, I guess I just calmed down. Hope this helps
  3. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

if by dissociation you mean being alone, i enjoy being alone i am so used to it. sometimes i get nervous around others. I think we were meant to live in a community and not alone tho.
  4. Breathe

Breathe Well-Known Member

Talk to someone about it. i don't mean to scare you but you could well hurt yourself it has only happened to me once. i could see it happening but it just wasn't registering in my mind, when i "came back" i was reaching into the medicine cabinet for pills with a bottle of vodka in my hand, never been more freaked out in my life.
    Either talk to someone about it or about the reasons you believe you think you might SH. One thing that stops me when i think i might slip into it is to think, thinking about self harming and depression makes me slip into dissociation but thinking about friends, college work or even chores, everyday things really just keep me going, keeps my mind working and "connected" to the reality. I find thinking through philosophical questions help me with both depression and dissociation.
    Hope i was some kind of help
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Do you know if there are certain thoughts or actions that trigger you into dissociating? If you can find what triggers it, then you might be able to try and distract yourself when you feel those thoughts overpowering you. I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to someone though, a doctor or therapist.
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well it seems like you realize you are doing it. I have to snap myself back to reality, like focus on something or think about something else. Since you can recognize what's happening, tell yourself again and again what's happening until you can come back to reality.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.