distractions please

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by silentlyfading, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silentlyfading

silentlyfading Well-Known Member

Fighting thoughts atm. Could really do with a distraction. Dont want to talk bout what when or where. Just a chat to distract me from the thoughts. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks guys

2. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Silentlyfading, sorry you're fighting thoughts. I have my share of them. However, I have some suggestions for distractions that are part of grounding that may help. Do some journaling, take a walk, watch some of your favorite TV shows or movies, talk with a friend you trust, do some deep breathing exercises, write down as much things you appreciate in your life that may help you keep safe and focused, read a good book, do some housekeeping, and of course, you can vent here. I hope that's what you mean by distractions. I learned them through group therapy. If I'm off topic, I apologize. Maybe someone else can help you to distract yourself the way you meant. Please let me know if any of what I mentioned helped you in any way. Glad to know you're reaching out.

3. silentlyfading

silentlyfading Well-Known Member

Trouble is its 1am the only things that work for me is going boxing.. after a few hits in the head its easy to forget foe a while

4. mpang123

Try to go to sleep. That can refresh your mind a little.

5. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I like to colour when I need a distraction.. It reminds me of when I was little, when I didn't have to deal with my illness as much as I do now. Sleep is also good, if you can fall asleep.

6. mpang123

I've been told that if you can't sleep, don't stay in your bed tossing and turning. Get back up and do something and then when you do get tired, then go back to bed. Keep doing the same thing until you can fall asleep. Coloring is great for insomnia because it doesn't get you thinking that may wake you up more. Drinking decaffeinated tea is good too. Try Benadryl or some other sleep meds also can help. Have a good night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.