do antidepresants work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I think they help you cope with that situation hun help you deal with the lack of change or help you see more clearly so you can make a change hugs

I guess antidepressants can only be prescribed by a professional after a diagnosis of some sort of depression is made. So, you can't probably consider them as OTCs. :)

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
I don't think they are meant as a cure-all for your depression. I believe they are designed to help lower your depression enough for you for example to get out of bed and make your own efforts to fight your depression. Depression is so crippling for some that they don't want to make an effort to get out of their dark hole, like they want to stay in bed all day long. Anti-depressions may give them a slight push to help them move forward. I cannot talk about them very much. I have been prescribed anti-depressions such as Effexor, Lexapro and Prozac, but I give them up after only taking them for a few weeks at most.

But that doesn't apply to everyone; I just feel that my depression is incurable and feel I am only wasting my money by buying these pills. I'm sure they work miracles for others. Each type of anti-depressant will probably also effect one person differently than others. You may have to experiment with a light dosage with your doctor to see if it works for you. If it does, you can increase the dosage and if not, to try another brand.

pbobble

I think antidepressants can help people, however I believe they only provide symptomatic relief. This can be vital to get through difficult times, and can help relieve the depression to the stage where you can take action to improve things for yourself, finds ways of accepting your situation and getting something from life anyway, or often a combination of both of these things.

You need to be diagnosed and prescribed by a professional, if you can find a compassion doctor that cares and attempts to understand your situation and needs all the better.

They can take up to 4-6 weeks to gain a full effect, however some research suggests newer medications such as lexapro can take effect as quickly as two weeks.

good luck

My experience with the antidepressant Prozac/fluoxetine has been that it helps me cope with an ongoing situation, and if I do slip into the swirling, sucking eddy of despair, I can find my way back out far sooner, and not become trapped in feeling helpless/hopeless.

It took a few weeks to start feeling clear effects, and I had a few minor side effects, but the improvement in my functioning has been amazing. I'm told I was one of the lucky folks who got a good dosage and a drug that works for me on the first try. I feel lucky! I also feel antidepressants helped save my life.

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
I think that when you find the right one for you, anti-depressant are able to lift the black cloud slightly so you regain some rationality, judgement and are able to control parts of your life better. They are not magic pills and they do not make everything disappear but can help you function enough to help you work towards getting out of a bad situation or bad time.

Pickett

If a doctor prescribed you an antidepressant because you were upset over a broken arm, you probably wouldn't trust him.

Unfortunately, doctors prescribe drugs far too liberally because of the change of the Hippocratic Oath in the 60s and because they are taught to by Big Pharma. They may not always just be lazy, but sometimes they're just brainwashed souls working for corporate interests.

This applies to all drugs and not only antidepressants. Take the drugs you feel you need but do not be blinded by their hypocrisy.

Remember that "bad thing" you did whenever? Well they are doing a "bad thing" and they don't feel the least bit guilty.

Nice video I'd like to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRCMOJeSyE&feature=related

another great one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dcL_mWFb2U&NR=1

Last edited by a moderator:

Sais

do antidepresents work if the situation stays the same?
YES!

It makes the emotions less powerfull, but I was never a fan of taking meds.
so as soon as I get my mind straight I'll give it up.
I didn't believe it would do any good, but it helps.

twofeet

Im Bipolar and seasick from long-term highs and lows; couldn't live without the meds; I'm stable enough to have a small little life right now.

cutiepie132

I guess the situation is different for everyone, all I can say is if you go on one, be careful. If you feel your symptoms worsening, it may be the medication. If you find your feeling better, well that can happen too.

I like to explain it to people as antidepressants turn down the volume of life. All incoming stress and pain feels easier to cope with because it comes in at a lower volume. It's easier to cope with. The downside is I find myself more robotic......more of a zombie.....because I dont react to life so readily. Life has less *feeling* to it......which can be a good or a bad thing depending on you and your circumstances

ExtraSoap

They Certainly help, but they alone will not get the job done (most of the time). You have to actively try and stay positive and the meds, at least for me, work very well. I'm on Lexapro, its very good it works, and i recommend it.

LonerForever

I've been told they work but they're no miracle drug either. The one I'm taking (fluoxetine) takes a few weeks to start having any notable impact and I only started taking it today so I've got a bit to wait yet lol. It's definitely worth checking out if you think you will benefit from them. At first I was hesitant to mention it to my doctor but ultimately with something like this they have to build the treatment around you. You're an individual, not a number after all.

pancake111

Antidepressants do work, but they take awhile. It took like two months for mine to start working. But its slow and gradual. Its definetly worth trying and better than taking nothing.

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
In my case they haven't helped me with my depression or OCD nearly as well as therapy and managing my thoughts. There is a saying, "Control your thoughts or they will control you". Diligently practicing acceptance, attempting optimism and most important by far- feeling gratitude lessens the frequency and severity of my depressions.

red ribbons

I think they do somewhat. You're still depressed on them, just not as much. Sometimes I've forgotten to take mine and then I can see the difference real fast. My husband killed himself after he went off antidepressants but there were other factors too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00